EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Today is more painting! But I also did some rough drawings of my plans since I’m very visual and it helps me consider options as I go. Here’s what my plans are at the moment. Any reason not to use hardware cloth for the area between the roof and top of coop wall? Roost bars will be a full foot below and I may buy a couple of solar fans as well, to circulate air flow in summer.

I bought these nest boxes because they’re fun and a decent size for smaller birds—they don’t need more than 10” deep nest boxes. I also plan to add more lip to it to be more cozy.
1ED5C3DC-4D6C-4EDE-BEB9-802720B41FAB.jpeg

Attachments

• 04C125E9-5EE0-4F61-ABBC-3B6DDF2CF19C.jpeg
    04C125E9-5EE0-4F61-ABBC-3B6DDF2CF19C.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 08D9BAB9-3CED-4452-B340-E975530A30D3.jpeg
    08D9BAB9-3CED-4452-B340-E975530A30D3.jpeg
    605.3 KB · Views: 8
  • CFC2CBBC-E571-4A58-9A82-635F94A2095F.jpeg
    CFC2CBBC-E571-4A58-9A82-635F94A2095F.jpeg
    626.7 KB · Views: 8
  • D9CD2F67-DFDB-46EE-AC07-DA6737D3788E.jpeg
    D9CD2F67-DFDB-46EE-AC07-DA6737D3788E.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0C0B4773-F2F5-4B0F-B372-78B5E2933A84.jpeg
    0C0B4773-F2F5-4B0F-B372-78B5E2933A84.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 8
Today is more painting! But I also did some rough drawings of my plans since I’m very visual and it helps me consider options as I go. Here’s what my plans are at the moment. Any reason not to use hardware cloth for the area between the roof and top of coop wall? Roost bars will be a full foot below and I may buy a couple of solar fans as well, to circulate air flow in summer.

I bought these nest boxes because they’re fun and a decent size for smaller birds—they don’t need more than 10” deep nest boxes. I also plan to add more lip to it to be more cozy.
View attachment 3367777

IMO, the lips on those boxes are way, way too shallow and you'll probably end up with bedding and even eggs kicked out all over the floor.

I lose bedding and golf balls sometimes even with 5" lips. :eek:

IMO, the lips on those boxes are way, way too shallow and you'll probably end up with bedding and even eggs kicked out all over the floor.

I lose bedding and golf balls sometimes even with 5" lips. :eek:
Yeah, I plan to extend the lip on them with scrap trim to be more like 3” high—I think it should be okay. If not, I will find something better! :) Their eggs are so tiny! My one pullet lays her egg inside the feeder currently 😆 Drops it down on the soft crumble bedding 😁

That's the best thing to use, IMO.

How will you make roof overhangs with the EZframing?
The roof is going to have a plywood sheath and then I will be attaching PVC roof panels to the plywood. It will be wider than the roof and longer by 1.5 or 2 inches. Plan to do this, only with plywood underneath to nail the roof closure strips to and then nail the panels to the strips. My inexperienced mind thinks this should work, will it? :) My plan is to have the run be slightly angled downhill from where it connects to the coop and have water run off the coop roof onto the run roof and down to the end of the whole structure and down to the drain at the end of the sloped part of the yard.

1672953385405.png

1672953249673.png

In this smoky color :)

1672953479545.png

The roof is going to have a plywood sheath and then I will be attaching PVC roof panels to the plywood. It will be wider than the roof and longer by 1.5 or 2 inches. Plan to do this, only with plywood underneath to nail the roof closure strips to and then nail the panels to the strips. My inexperienced mind thinks this should work, will it? :) My plan is to have the run be slightly angled downhill from where it connects to the coop and have water run off the coop roof onto the run roof and down to the end of the whole structure and down to the drain at the end of the sloped part of the yard.

View attachment 3367830

View attachment 3367823

In this smoky color :)

View attachment 3367833
I have that roofing on my coop...not the run. And we just did the framing (can't think of the right name for it) and used the straps that go with the roofing on top to screw down. So we didn't have plywood underneath which makes it much cooler I think in the hot scorching summers we have!
Learning as I go...take 3 coop/run 2021

Learning as I go...take 3 coop/run 2021

What began as an empty nester's Mothers Day gift from my three adult children has turned into the most expensive yet peaceful time I've had since coming to know God! While the cute little pre-fab coops seemed perfect for a small backyard and had all of the cuts and measurements already done...
Here's my build article if u look at some of the pics towards the end you can see the framing strips (fur strips may be what they are called) sticking out from under the roofing.
I hate my son-in-law and I had miscommunication on the overhangs...it was definitely meant to have nearly a foot overhang. So even with the several inches I have I still end up with some snow blowing in and seldom rain if it comes insanely sideways.

Last edited:
I have that roofing on my coop...not the run. And we just did the framing (can't think of the right name for it) and used the straps that go with the roofing on top to screw down. So we didn't have plywood underneath which makes it much cooler I think in the hot scorching summers we have!
I actually think the plywood under the plastic roofing might keep it cool, as less light/heat can get in? I have ply under black steel in the coop and it stays about the same temp as outdoors as it creates deep shade. I could be wrong though. not sure where OP lives but ply can help with snow load too :)

I actually think the plywood under the plastic roofing might keep it cool, as less light/heat can get in? I have ply under black steel in the coop and it stays about the same temp as outdoors as it creates deep shade. I could be wrong though. not sure where OP lives but ply can help with snow load too :)
Oh good to know!
I have an inch or so gap all the way around my roofing to help with the ventilation as we get scorching hot summers.
But we've also had quite a bit of snow and it has held up very well. But not more than 5" at a time.

Back
Top Bottom