EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Oh good to know!
I have an inch or so gap all the way around my roofing to help with the ventilation as we get scorching hot summers.
But we've also had quite a bit of snow and it has held up very well. But not more than 5" at a time.
I would suggest going bigger if you are able. I have a 4" gap around my roof (covered w/ hardware mesh) and additionally a window above the roost. this helps in our hot hot summers, especially those hot evenings with not much breeze.

*edit I mixed you up with OP ;) I doubt you can add more ventilation at this point since you've already built it.

I would suggest going bigger if you are able. I have a 4" gap around my roof (covered w/ hardware mesh) and additionally a window above the roost. this helps in our hot hot summers, especially those hot evenings with not much breeze.

*edit I mixed you up with OP ;) I doubt you can add more ventilation at this point since you've already built it.
No worries...but I actually did get more ventilation!
It's all secure inside my run so this worked out perfectly!
Only problem I've encountered is this blizzard we just went through...my silly cochin boy 6 months old has been crowing his head off all through the nights lately and when he stretched to do that the very tips of his comb got little frostbite.

Attachments

• 20220928_135258.jpg
    20220928_135258.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 17
I actually think the plywood under the plastic roofing might keep it cool, as less light/heat can get in? I have ply under black steel in the coop and it stays about the same temp as outdoors as it creates deep shade. I could be wrong though. not sure where OP lives but ply can help with snow load too :)
Yes, I’m trying to decide what is better. I’m in the Cental Valley of CA and the summers are horrible and hot…so I go back and forth on plywood no plywood. I feel like the plywood would help keep it cooler as long as it’s well ventilated. But I could also use furring strips as @Gammas Bearded Babies mentions to allow for more air flows. I’d probably do solid pvc instead of smoky if I went that route.

We get zero snow, so I don’t need to worry as much about snow loads, but we are getting a fair amount of rain in large storms in winter more lately. So might be worth more overhang on the sides over the doors.

Yes, I’m trying to decide what is better. I’m in the Cental Valley of CA and the summers are horrible and hot…so I go back and forth on plywood no plywood. I feel like the plywood would help keep it cooler as long as it’s well ventilated. But I could also use furring strips as @Gammas Bearded Babies mentions to allow for more air flows. I’d probably do solid pvc instead of smoky if I went that route.

We get zero snow, so I don’t need to worry as much about snow loads, but we are getting a fair amount of rain in large storms in winter more lately. So might be worth more overhang on the sides over the doors.
Best I remember when I was researching in our build they told me the clear pvc would act as a greenhouse effect and heat it up inside....but I could be mistaken.
Just food for thought.

Have you considered metal roofing?

It's remarkably easy to work with using self-tapping screws and a cordless impact driver.

We avoided cuts by designing our roof around the size of the pieces.

I have used the pvc panels in the past and I experienced bad warpage from direct sunexposure. The polycarbonate panels do not warp like the pvc ones do. A little more expensive but, like the old saying goes, do it right or do it twice.
Thanks! The sun here is intense so I will mark PVC off as an option!

Have you considered metal roofing?

It's remarkably easy to work with using self-tapping screws and a cordless impact driver.

We avoided cuts by designing our roof around the size of the pieces.
Metal would be great we have it on my other big coop someone else built for me, I’m just intimidated by the cutting process. Maybe Lowe’s can cut it for me…hmm.

Metal would be great we have it on my other big coop someone else built for me, I’m just intimidated by the cutting process. Maybe Lowe’s can cut it for me…hmm.

If you need to cut it, which we tried to avoid, this tool is a great investment -- especially because it will save your hands when cutting the hardware cloth too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/35-amp-18-gauge-metal-shears-61737.html?_br_psugg_q=metal+shears

Don't get the other one that looks more ergonomic. That one takes out a kerf and will leave your ground salted with tiny bits of sharp metal that the birds might eat.

Back
Top Bottom