EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Finally done painting the studs and ready to start the next steps! Tonight I put the base together and laid down the laminate flooring. We decided to screw the floor to the underside of the frame since the joints would require a lot of small extra cuts in the floor that we just don’t want to do. So I measured the frame and then laid out my flooring so it will sit right up against the floor studs. I want to make sure we have good secure contact between the floor and studs and I don’t want to break my laminate by accidentally screwing into it. Hopefully I don’t regret it, but I wanted simple and I’m going to be adding legs as well so the floor should be secure. It’s a nice thick floor and the laminate is just to make things easier to clean :)

Next up, I will be putting together the roof frame. And adding my hardware cloth…and then more painting! 🤪

Attachments

• D0DC55B5-F42F-438B-AD40-6BB763F76837.jpeg
    D0DC55B5-F42F-438B-AD40-6BB763F76837.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 4B36C2C9-500E-4AB1-B80E-FAEB31056E59.jpeg
    4B36C2C9-500E-4AB1-B80E-FAEB31056E59.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DED805A0-3B3F-4E08-B859-8766BEDA1050.jpeg
    DED805A0-3B3F-4E08-B859-8766BEDA1050.jpeg
    700.7 KB · Views: 10
We decided to screw the floor to the underside of the frame

the laminate is just to make things easier to clean :)

If you want it easy to clean, are you going to have trouble with the studs around the sides and in the middle? Putting the floor on top would give a smooth surface to shovel or rake or sweep. Based on your photo, I expect you will have to be scooping stuff up and out.

Personally, I like chicken coops with a removable lip or board at the door: it keeps the bedding in, but can be removed to let me sweep everything out easily.

I did look at getting some tin snips! And I will definitely look into the protection on the edges! 😳 Thank you!

Manual snips are handy for small areas, but your hands will cramp badly after more than a few cuts. Electric shears are worth the investment and the annoyance of running extension cords.

Did I miss the final coop? I don't see the completed coop. I'm super excited to see how this goes as my 16 year-old is begging to get quails and they will need a hope. Which is part of my big argument for "you don't need quails...admire my chickens instead."
Nope you didn't miss it! Things will be going faster now that I have the studs primed and the floor! This set up and frame would actually make for a really nice quail house! They don't need as much to be happy! I have quail and plan to build them a new set up after the chickens are set up! Predator proofing is key for quail, even more so than chickens!

I will be working today on the roof framing and painting the wall boards! :)

This is the color I’m painting the inside wall on the back of the coop 😁 Only the one wall, the others will just be white. I like the deep teal blue color, and how it contrasts with white and black and gold colors 🥰 This gets much darker in a second coat and after it dries.

BE214608-B9C5-4BE7-8DB8-B2D129CC41D3.jpeg

And I have the roof together and will be screwing it together after the husband is done with work! This frame is just so easy to put together for novices like me!

E8BE10B2-7CE5-4221-A8D0-E03E467135E4.jpeg

Once it’s secure, I will start attaching hardware cloth to the center trusses portion and leave enough length to fasten to the siding once we attach it. It’s starting to come together! 🥰

I like that color alot! It will reflect nicely off the white walls especially with a semigloss or gloss white. Out of curiosity are you using quality, exterior grade decking screws? Nice work.
Thanks!! I can’t wait to see it all together!

Yes, I’m using the exterior wood epoxy coated decking grade #8 screws! Thankfully the plans specify the need for wood exterior screws, so I knew to start there and then did research on what # would be okay to use for framing. :)

That BLUE is fabulous! I'm very excited to se this come together. I really think my teenager and I could do this!
Thank you!! I love it too! 🙃 My husband lobbied for green so I told him the next coop will have green in it 😆

Waiting for the kit to arrive is honestly the worst part 😆😆 Otherwise, this really is simple and so far much cheaper than something similar premade. I’m gonna sit down and add up costs so I can help folks with that too.

Back
Top Bottom