EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Pics
Thank you!! I love it too! 🙃 My husband lobbied for green so I told him the next coop will have green in it 😆

Waiting for the kit to arrive is honestly the worst part 😆😆 Otherwise, this really is simple and so far much cheaper than something similar premade. I’m gonna sit down and add up costs so I can help folks with that too.
With or without that kit anything built by hand is going to be sturdier safer and keep longer than any of those store-bought ones. And can be easier tweaked to your personal needs So when you add up costs you have to think of how often people would need to repair or add extra security or alterations to fit your needs to the store-bought pre built ones. Because it’s far more often and that adds up as well overtime.

Just came across this thread and looking through it very interesting. Something I might look into when I need to do my coop add-on or extension. Since when it comes to building things it’s me and myself working together and that’s about it seems like something me and myself can tackle Alot easier seeing as I’m not getting any younger ha ! It’s looking awesome so far. Really is coming together!!!!

So yesterday I officially started! I counted out all the brackets and made sure they were all there. Then headed to Lowe’s with my packet and plans.

View attachment 3367280

View attachment 3367281

Lowe’s did all of the wood cuts I needed which was awesome. We don’t have a ton of tools or experience cutting wood, so it was much easier to go this route! I bought the 2x2s and handed the paper to the guy and away he went!

View attachment 3367286

While he cut I gathered some other things, including the screws and primer/wood sealant. I don’t know if it was the best choice and I may regret it, but I got liquid white flexseal as the sealant.

I tested with a small spare piece of wood, and it did not deter the board from going inside the brackets, which was my concern! It’s tight but should work! Today I took the largest pieces and painted them and now they are drying!

View attachment 3367294

I had to quit after this round because of the fumes and my arms got tired! 😆 I wish painting didn’t take so long…waiting patiently for things to dry is NOT my forte! It’s also crazy windy and rainy here so I can’t do any other site prep either.

Tomorrow I will paint the other sides of the boards that are dry and also paint some of the roof joists and trusses.
My BYC has been acting crazy...so somehow I missed this whole post.
I've seen these advertised and thought they looked good especially if ya aren't able to build stuff on your own. The brackets look really sturdy! I'm wondering about the 2x2s as far as long-term goes. I know the painting will help seal the wood for the weather. Are you concerned bout them lasting and being as sturdy as a 2x4 would be? Just curious cause like I've said I had looked at these several times before due to costs but was concerned about longevity in the elements.

If I was building this I would be sure to use a "washer head" screw vs. a "flush head" screw. Those look like injection molded plastic and the 'V' shaped head will cause cracks and improper clamping force. The top pic, below, is the proper style. The pics on their site show the other 2nd pic type.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113_081307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_081307_Chrome.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230113_081440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_081440_Chrome.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 16
My BYC has been acting crazy...so somehow I missed this whole post.
I've seen these advertised and thought they looked good especially if ya aren't able to build stuff on your own. The brackets look really sturdy! I'm wondering about the 2x2s as far as long-term goes. I know the painting will help seal the wood for the weather. Are you concerned bout them lasting and being as sturdy as a 2x4 would be? Just curious cause like I've said I had looked at these several times before due to costs but was concerned about longevity in the elements.
Mine has been acting funny too. I never got notifications for this thread. Or really a lot of other treads for that matter.

I have decided since I am now a full blown crazy chicken/quail lady, it is time to retire the prefabs and build more substantial coops.

This will be my very first attempt and while it’s still not 100% from solid 2x4s, it will be much better and should give me the confidence to build a bigger coop in the spring! I searched on here and couldn't find any threads on building with the EZ Frame plans, so i thought I'd make a thread and share the pain (and fun) 🙃

Feel free to follow along and share ideas as I go!
Congratulations!! I’m so looking forward to your progress, You have pioneer blood in your veins 😃👍Like myself just do it and let the chicken math begin 😃😃😃😃💕✌🏽✝️

Today we cut the feet for the coop from a 4x4x8 severe weather board and primed my floor board with flex seal for waterproofing. I decided to try the spray can Flex Seal for the big boards. More expensive but soooo much faster and easier 😆 So I’m getting another can or two for the feet. I figure it’s better to spend more on things like waterproofing wood that will be touching the ground and getting wet than to skimp and get rotten or moldy wood later! I also did the second coat of teal for my accent wall 😁 Getting closer! Once the feet are secured and the floor is attached to the base frame, things will really get rolling! I’m so impatient 😆😆

Attachments

• E838D028-8EEA-4E0C-BDB1-7376E3179F34.jpeg
    E838D028-8EEA-4E0C-BDB1-7376E3179F34.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 74DBE466-BF4A-47EB-A7C8-5C071DD50A99.jpeg
    74DBE466-BF4A-47EB-A7C8-5C071DD50A99.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 13
If I was building this I would be sure to use a "washer head" screw vs. a "flush head" screw. Those look like injection molded plastic and the 'V' shaped head will cause cracks and improper clamping force. The top pic, below, is the proper style. The pics on their site show the other 2nd pic type.
Good suggestion! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom