F&W Runners seem to have "weak" legs...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NYRIR, Jun 1, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I got 2 F&W Runners and one especially seems to have "weak" legs.What I mean is, at first I thought it was cold all the time but now I'm thinking it's legs look a little thinner than the others. What should I be doing for this? I have the duckling on vit/electrolyte in the drinking water...gets enough exercise and has from the beginning.The runners are 5 weeks old.When i first noticed it I started the vitamin water and I think it's helping. Any ideas?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I often see one of my runners getting a bit shakey in the legs for a few days - Is that what you are seeing. I thought maybe it is something similar- as you mention thinking it is cold- so I was thinking something along the lines of shivering. It goes away as fast as it appears without treatment in my birds. They are growing so fast- and with such long legs its so much more noticeable.

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thank you...I'm hoping they make it...one seemed to be laying down an awful lot so restarted giving the vitamin water.I only ordered 2 , straight run and I *THINK* I got one of each [​IMG] I absolutely love these little guys...they are so cute when they run [​IMG]

4. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    try giving niacin. Your can get Brewers Yeast tablets at Walmart. Just crush a couple and put on their food.

5. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Try Niacin. I know someone who uses it for her ducks & it works for her. She gets the tablets at walmart and crushes 1 to a gallon (I think) of the drinking water.

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Is it ok to give to ALL my flock? Or would I need to separate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by