F1-F2-C1 question

Thanks Marvin and Tim. You both are a wealth of information, even when you don't agree. Okay so if I do a backcross to my RB with my F1's females, there offspring should be auto-sexing correct? And when I cross back my F1's to HRIR I will only get some that are barred and some not barred, correct? But by backcrossing my F1 to HRIR I should be setting in the HRIR traits before going back to RB. Do I have that right?

Penny

Quote:
if you cross the "Pseudo Wildtype"(wildtype looking) F1 Females with a Rhodebar you should be getting 100% autosexing chicks. and I say Should because if its indeed recessive wheaten(ey) the e+/ey B/B males should look just like e+/e+ B/B males and e+/ey B/- Females would look like e+/e+ B/- females....but we wont know this untill you do the actuall cross... now if you cross the yellow(wheaten looking) chicks Tim is advising only 50% of the total chicks will hatch with wildtype chick down(100% e+/e+) and those 50% will be Autosexing traits..
Quote:
Originally Posted by melroseladi

backcrossing my F1 to HRIR I should be setting in the HRIR traits before going back to RB. Do I have that right?
That is correct that crossing your F1 back to HRIR will produce 50% Barred birds, if you used the Pseudo wildtype looking F1 Barred Female with your HRIR Male this would produce more(about 50%) pseudo wiltype looking chicks with alot more HRIR traits than the F1s... keep a few BC1 barred females and cross it to Rhodebar males this will produce 100% Autosexable chicks(that is if e+/ey B/B males look like pure e+/e+ B/B males)

I too am curious why Tim recommends the lighter color down chicks and not the darker?

You want lighter down which is due to the barring gene. Males with two barring genes will be lighter than females with one barring gene. You want to select the birds with the genes that are being effected by the barring gene. The barring gene is acting upon the other genes in the bird to lighten the down. In birds that are darker, the barring gene is not effecting the down color. You want the genetic makeup of the bird to be effected by the barring gene and produce a lighter down.

I do not know how the genes from HRIR will effect the down color of the chicks. There may be genes inherited by the offspring from the HRIR that may counter the effect of the barring gene.

I have posted enough on this string.

Tim

Last edited:
Does it matter which one is the hen and which is the roo? I want to get some OEs but I cant figure out where to start. I want to get a FBCM Roo or an Ameracauna roo. Which should I get? ( I only want one roo)

Back
Top Bottom