Fabulous Find!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Izzymoon, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I always see people posting silly photos of their chickens eating spaghetti, seriously hilarious stuff, but I hestitated to use it, as I thought maybe they'd choke on the longer noodles. I began a search for smaller sized noodles for them to eat. It took a while, I thought of macaroni, and nothing seemed to fit what my mind had envisioned.

Then one day, while getting kale for the girls at a larger grocery store, I saw it!

Alphabet noodles!

[​IMG]

They are the perfect size for their beaks, and will fill them up quick! It might even make them smarter [​IMG]

I have 8 hens now, so I made a 1/2 a box, put a little olive oil in the water. It's been so so cold on the east coast, need I tell anyone how brutal this winter has been on our flocks? I didn't bother cooling them off, and went out with these steaming goodies. 1/2 a box ...maybe 5 minutes. They devoured them!

All their little combs turned bright red, and their crops were bulging at the seams. [​IMG]

Far exceeded my expectations,They were 89 cents a box.

Just had to share

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Very good idea! ! Thank you for sharing this! I'm going to try it.

3. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Yeah. I take them out steaming hot water every morning. Alphabet noodles are cheap. Though if you could find cheap spaghetti noodles all you'd have to do is pound it into smaller bits before cooking. Basically the same thing.

4. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    oh good thinking, I hadn't thought to break it into bits ahead of time, I guess i could use a meat tenderizer, but then it might fly everywhere unless I put it in a ziplock I suppose

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you are worried about the lenght of the spaghetti, just break in half or thirds, that would make it about the size earth worms that they have no problem with. Really if you are cooking it, they have no problem with it whole. They can easily cut it short with their beaks. Give them some credit. They are adults and should know how to eat without knives and forks.

6. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    But alphabet noodles are so much cuter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by