Facing off - cockerels?

Here's my Light Bhrama Cockerel - Big Boy

Here is my pullet

You can clearly see the redness difference in the two of them.

I believe this to be a SLW. Please correct me if I'm wrong. He's definately a he and has got quite a pair of lungs on him. He's a great crower. They're 12 weeks today.

My SLW hen was not being very photgenic. Guess I shouldn't try pictures at treat time.

Sigh... I've got at least three with red combs and wattles. I guess as long as I have six pullets I'll be fine, but I was hoping not to have to deal with boys.

Last edited:
At 9 weeks old, cockerels will be very bright red in the comb. Of the three that are showing combs in the pictures, they look like pullets.

Actually, I was wrong on the age, I just got a calendar out and counted and they'd be 11-12 weeks old today, depending on if they were newly hatched when I picked them up or a week old.

Does it matter that none of them have any combs bigger than any others? They're all still very small. Some have red wattles though, and others don't.

Actually, I was wrong on the age, I just got a calendar out and counted and they'd be 11-12 weeks old today, depending on if they were newly hatched when I picked them up or a week old.

Does it matter that none of them have any combs bigger than any others?  They're all still very small.  Some have red wattles though, and others don't.

All the pictures I posted are 12 weeks old plus or minus one day.

Here's my Light Bhrama Cockerel - Big Boy

Here is my pullet

You can clearly see the redness difference in the two of them.

I believe this to be a SLW. Please correct me if I'm wrong. He's definately a he and has got quite a pair of lungs on him. He's a great crower. They're 12 weeks today.

My SLW hen was not being very photgenic. Guess I shouldn't try pictures at treat time.

Dotty the SLW cockerel

Sunny the white Wyandotte

These two have had crazy wattle growth in the past couple days.

Stripey - slw pullet - notice the poor lacing. Do you recall when yours started getting the nicely laced feathers?

Harry Potter - I fear this one seals his fate. I read somewhere that 3 rows = boy on the pea comb.

Any suggestions on which might make the best chicks with my hens? Hens will all be RIR, isa Brown or the one slw.

Cockerel choices white giant, slw, buff orp, white Wyandotte, light brahma.

Dotty the SLW cockerel

Sunny the white Wyandotte

These two have had crazy wattle growth in the past couple days.

Stripey - slw pullet - notice the poor lacing. Do you recall when yours started getting the nicely laced feathers?

Harry Potter - I fear this one seals his fate. I read somewhere that 3 rows = boy on the pea comb.

Any suggestions on which might make the best chicks with my hens? Hens will all be RIR, isa Brown or the one slw.

Cockerel choices white giant, slw, buff orp, white Wyandotte, light brahma.
Dotty and Sunny are cockerels. Stripey will not have lacing ever. She is penciled, and with that single comb, I doubt she's a Wyandotte at all.
White Giants are recessive white, so that boy will produce solid black chicks, boys may develop some 'leakage' as they mature. The Buff Orpington will produce a wide range of red to gold chicks, and when bred to a silver hen, the chicks will be sexlinked. The White Wyandotte will produce mostly white chicks. SLW and Light Brahma will produce mostly black and white chicks, with varying patterns. From an egg production standpoint, the Wyandottes or Orpington are the best choices. Brahmas can be fairly poor layers, and that may pass on.
But most import when choosing a cockerel to keep for breeding is temperament. Do not keep the one that stands his ground or pecks at you. Pick the one that gives you the widest berth. It's a sign of respect, and a respectful cockerel is one that isn't likely to turn nasty on you.

Dotty and Sunny are cockerels. Stripey will not have lacing ever. She is penciled, and with that single comb, I doubt she's a Wyandotte at all.
White Giants are recessive white, so that boy will produce solid black chicks, boys may develop some 'leakage' as they mature. The Buff Orpington will produce a wide range of red to gold chicks, and when bred to a silver hen, the chicks will be sexlinked. The White Wyandotte will produce mostly white chicks. SLW and Light Brahma will produce mostly black and white chicks, with varying patterns. From an egg production standpoint, the Wyandottes or Orpington are the best choices. Brahmas can be fairly poor layers, and that may pass on.
But most import when choosing a cockerel to keep for breeding is temperament. Do not keep the one that stands his ground or pecks at you. Pick the one that gives you the widest berth. It's a sign of respect, and a respectful cockerel is one that isn't likely to turn nasty on you.

Thank you! Lots to think about :) All of them have been good to me so far, and with the kids. The White Giant and the Buff Orpington like to chest bump and the BO also chest bumps with the white wyandotte. The SLW stays out of it and seems the most stand-offish.

Interesting you say Stripey is penciled, I went back to McMurray and wonder if she might be a silver penciled rock?? I'll have to dig around for some real life pictures, as they only have a sketch but the description seems true. I have no idea what they sent in their assortment to the school!

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_penciled_rocks.html

Hopefully in time the boys will show me who gets to stay and who gets to go. I've already told my kids to watch their behavior and let me know if anyone pecks at them or acts aggressive. The SLW and the Orpington are probably the most likely to stay. How are the Giants with regards to laying abilities? That one seems to be a pretty mellow fellow too.

Back
Top Bottom