Factory Farm Rescues

Umlaut

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Berkeley, CA
Hello! I'm new to this site, my name's Kitty.

I'm adapting 6 chickens that were rescued from a factory farm. As some of you may know, chickens are treated really terribly in the egg and meat industries. If you weren't aware, I recommend watching Fowl Play and not buying eggs (only eating the ones form your hens). Animal Place (an animal sanctuary here in California) rescued them.

Anywho, I don't know much about caring for chickens (I did read "Raising Chickens for Dummies") but I was curious-
Does anyone else have rescued chickens? I'd love to have some like-minded friends!

Also, I want to get creative and paint their coop with bright colors and designs. Is it safe to use any old paint? Someone gave me some left over house paint, but I'm willing to buy some non-toxic, all-natural stuff if necessary!

thumbsup.gif

Okay, thank you!!
I'm so excited. I've been an activist against factory farming since I was a teenager, so now I get to directly help those poor hens.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm adapting from Animal Place, a really awesome sanctuary for farmed animals!

That's really cool! YES for animal activism!
Ordinary outdoor paint is fine. I worried about that what I painted my coop pink but it's been fine. Looks really cool. I was dead pleased with my little pink coop but when you see the amazing coops people have on here you get quite jealous!..

Consider also adopting an unwanted rooster if you are allowed to keep one. People are always looking to get rid of them. You could save him from the pot!

That's really cool! YES for animal activism!
Ordinary outdoor paint is fine. I worried about that what I painted my coop pink but it's been fine. Looks really cool. I was dead pleased with my little pink coop but when you see the amazing coops people have on here you get quite jealous!..

Consider also adopting an unwanted rooster if you are allowed to keep one. People are always looking to get rid of them. You could save him from the pot!

Yes! Genius! I am allowed to have roosters where I live. When I get them I'm going to bring my roommates and neighbors with me to the sanctuary, like a field-trip! I want everyone to learn about how animals are treated on factory farms, so hopefully they'll only eat my hens' eggs and not buy them from Costco.
big_smile.png

Speaking of animals always looking for homes-- pitbulls. I saw a man walking a (clearly purebred) pitty who was NOT neutered. I approached him to tell him that I think neutering his pup would be of great benefit (I can never help myself). Turned out he was rescued and was getting neutered very soon! YAY!!!

Back
Top Bottom