Faded comb. . .beginning to molt?

Kinney's Urban Ranch

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Capitol Hill, Denver, CO
So, one of my Australorps appears to be in the first stages of molting. I am seeing more black feathers in the coop than usual and her comb looks much less red than her counterparts. Is the faded comb typical during molting and is there a specific dietary change that I can provide to help her ease through that phase?

Kinney's Urban Ranch :

So, one of my Australorps appears to be in the first stages of molting. I am seeing more black feathers in the coop than usual and her comb looks much less red than her counterparts. Is the faded comb typical during molting and is there a specific dietary change that I can provide to help her ease through that phase?

I've never noticed my chickens combs when they were in molt. Extra protein such as gamebird feed will help with feather regrowth. Just to be sure, pick up your molting hen and visually inspect her for lice/mites. Pay particular attention to her vent area and base of tail feathers.​

when all my hens have molted their combs got pale in color. Makes sense a very red comb is a sign of fertility, when they molt they don't lay, so a paler comb could be expected. Add some BOSS to their diet to increase their protein intake. they act tired, less social during a molt.

Kinney's Urban Ranch :

Add some BOSS to their diet to increase their protein intake.

Can you clarify exactly what BOSS is? I may be able to find some, but have no idead what it is! Thanks!

That confused me too at first---BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Get anywhere; sold as wild bird feed. Comes in 50# bags.​

Thank you for this. Now I know why three of our gals aren't laying, have faded combs, and are acting unusual. What a simple solution...BOSS will be added ASAP. I love this forum!

Back
Top Bottom