faded comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mastermouse, Sep 28, 2015.

1. mastermouse

mastermouse New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    I have 4 hens just over 1yr old. They stopped laying in the heat of the TX summer and I did not worry about it. However they have not started again and hens in the past did. They have faded combs and are not laying, they have a crust around the outside of their vent, but the vent looks healthy and they aren't showing anyother signs. They are also not 'squating' when I reach for them as in the past. I am sure there is something wrong, but I can't figure out what it might be. Any ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely molt. Second autumn and each beyond is normally when it happens. A molting hen or one not laying for any other reason will have shrunken/pale combs and a small dry vent.
    I would quit providing layer feed and switch to a higher protein grower or all flock feed till lay resumes. It has already been a long time getting too much calcium and since they may not resume till after winter solstice, that could damage kidneys or kill them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by