Failed eggs

Dstorm

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
PXL_20220513_160234046.jpg
PXL_20220513_160248663.MP.jpg

This was 3 of the eggs that we had in our incubator at school. The membranes we're very white and thick and they were basically fully developed. This happened in many classrooms. These in particular had one successful egg hatch and then these 3 did not. A fifth pipped and then died in the egg fairly quickly. Advice and thoughts welcomed

I can find out but each class did have chicks hatch, but not good rate.
This is the one they use. It was set up for at least 24 hours before eggs went in. We got eggs from UCONN. I know they follow the directions that come with it.

Screenshot_20220513-182749.png

We're the eggs bought online and shipped or are they grocery store eggs? They both have very specific needs with extra steps
The school gets the eggs from the University of Connecticut every year. They go in person to pick them up.

@Faraday40 , don't you have this incubator?
Any advice?
It looks to me like the humidity was too low or too high at the end.
Mine is the NR360. Similar design.
https://www.amazon.com/Harris-Farms...ocphy=9021669&hvtargid=pla-492351729806&psc=1

Brinsea should be a good brand. I bought a Govee thermometer/hygrometer. I use that for my readings. My big incubator is always about a degree too high (when using preset) and my little NR360 is about .5 degree too low. There should be a way to set the temp. *If it's .5 degree too low, set it to 100'F

If it's humidity, you may need to adjust some things.

Trace air cells at day 7 and 14 - Compare to online diagrams. This will let you know if eggs are losing the right amount of water during incubation. Usually there's one water tray for day 1-18 and then fill the 2nd one day18-21 If the incubation humidity is not a problem then check humidity at hatch. Are all vents open all the way at hatch? I try to get the humidity to go as high as possible - without raining of course. For me that's 65-70% If all the water. Remember the more surface are of the water touching the air more humidity. You can decrease humidity by using cups of water instead of the trays. You can increase by adding cups of water &/or wet sponges

Back
Top Bottom