Failed hatch, hen still broody, now what?

well I didnt have any luck when my hen went broody. she started back in July and since our rooster was too young i found someone to loan me some eggs because i didnt need any more chicks well when 3 hatched out I gave them back to my friend and she continued to sit so I bought her 8 eggs for $2 and gave her 5 she is small and couldnt handled any more than that and I tookthe other 3 and hatched 2 out in a homemade incubator and Ms.Peeps hatched out 3 I gave her my 2 and she is so happy she has been off the nest for a week now being a good mama. I have a friend who has 2 that have been tring to sit since march!!! nothing else I tried helped but to get her some chicks good luck your not alone:cool:

did you check the eggs? Did you dispose of the eggs? Depends on what day you started counting from along with environmental conditions. I don't start counting until I know she has quit laying and decided to start holding tight and only leaving the nest once a day. Even at that, I just let nature run it's course. If it really is a failed hatch then you can keep removing her from the nest or section off a part of the pen so she cannot get back to the nest that she was on. Usually takes about 4 or 5 days for her to get back to normal.

If you haven't removed the eggs yet give it another couple of days. If it really is a failed hatch maybe you could get a few day-old chicks from somebody and slip them under her at night. She'll just keep sitting there until she "hatches" something or you take other measures--do a search on breaking a broody for more how-to information if you need to go that route. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom