Failed incubation? Pic of day 15 UPDATE: ONE lives, I think!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sabz, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I think I either killed all the chicks or my eggs were not fertile to start with.

Can someone comment these pics?
    They are 15 days old. I see no movement. The "black" portion of the egg should be bigger at this stage I think.

:(

Is it a porous egg? They don't all have those little spots on the shell, but the black dot inside each of my eggs are similar size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd say unfertilized. Those look the same as an egg out of my fridge.

1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There is no chick in that egg. I have hatched eggs that were a lot more porous than that. Since i dont see any development in the egg, i would assume that the egg is infertile.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yep, what they said above. Those don't look like they were fertile at all. The dark area you're seeing inside is just the yolk, no embryos (alive or dead) present.

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

I agree, no development. Now whether they were fertile or not is unknown. I don't know if at this point if you cracked them open if you will still see a bullseye or not.
    What makes you think your killed them? Were they not stored properly? Was your incubator too hot or too cold?

6. julieseawel

julieseawel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    After about 3 days of incubation the egg will develop red spider veins throughout the yoke if it's fertilized. These eggs are definitely not growing any babies....sorry :(

7. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Ohhh :(

I wasn't sure they were fertile. I posted a few pics in the post about egg fertility and a few people commented that they did look fertile, so I went ahead and incubated the next eggs I found in the coop.

I will wait another month or so and try again. My rooster is young - 5 months, so possibly not fertile yet. Although I thought I saw a bull eye!

I didn't really think I killed them, but I just assumed.. if the eggs are fertile but they don't "grow", I thought I necessarily killed them.

Here were my yolks posted on the fertility post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. spainshchikens

spainshchikens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2014
    I was not fertile also do you have the tep right and the humidity right andvis it a automatic turner or manual

9. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Yes temp and humidity are ok and it turns them auto.
    Anyhow, no need to worry about the technical side of the incubation since we think the eggs were not fertile.

Thanks!

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the eggs are fertile, veins will begin to develope. If the embryo dies, then you will see the "blood ring" will develope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by