Failed molt? bad genetics? something else?

These are my favorite saddles. They're a stiff canvas and curl under the chicken's wings so the middle rests slightly above the back feathers, so there's some air flow under them on the chicken's backs.

https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B089GJZL2G?th=1
FunClucks, I want to thank you again for pointing me to these saddles! My poor girl has still not grown any feathers, and in fact is completely naked from the shoulders down, with only a handful of wing feathers. But her saddles is keeping her well protected from the sun, other chickens, the rooster, etc; and she has grown used to wearing it. I'm holding out hope that she'll grow some feathers back someday, but if not at least I'll know she has her body armor ;)

FunClucks, I want to thank you again for pointing me to these saddles! My poor girl has still not grown any feathers, and in fact is completely naked from the shoulders down, with only a handful of wing feathers. But her saddles is keeping her well protected from the sun, other chickens, the rooster, etc; and she has grown used to wearing it. I'm holding out hope that she'll grow some feathers back someday, but if not at least I'll know she has her body armor ;)
You're welcome! I'm glad the saddles have helped your hen! Occasionally I'll take the saddles off a bird so she can dust bathe and preen a bit, and put them back on again before any more damage can happen.

If the feathers are broken, they'll only grow back after a molt. If they''ve been pulled out, they'll grow back once they're not being removed, in a couple weeks.

I have a poor hen right now with lots of broken feathers and wry tail - she still gives me one extra large egg a day. She's the ugliest chicken I have, but super sweet, and I love her eggs!

@dreamofwinter Did your barred rock end up growing her feathers back? I have a barred rock that is looking almost identical to yours and is down to just one sad tail feather. We've tried many things including treating her with ivermectin for possible depluming mites. She's happy to wear her hen saddle but I would love to see her start growing some feathers back soon. Did you find anything that helped yours?

I don't know why I never mentioned this but start feeding her high protein feed 20% or higher. Protein is required for feather and skin repair.

This was a requirement for my chickens when I first started keeping a flock and generational growth.

I've had no serious feather loss over 3 1/2 years now and there in prime health for it.

Did your barred rock end up growing her feathers back? I have a barred rock that is looking almost identical to yours and is down to just one sad tail feather. We've tried many things including treating her with ivermectin for possible depluming mites. She's happy to wear her hen saddle but I would love to see her start growing some feathers back soon. Did you find anything that helped yours?
Hello! Yes, she's finally growing feathers. She's been in one of the Down Under Outdoors saddles since roughly May 1. Her tail fell completely out and she's been walking around looking very much naked under the saddle, but about three weeks ago she began to grow new feathers. She's still laying - poor little production hen - but has beautiful new pinfeathers atop her wings and under her saddle.
We keep the saddle on pretty much 24/7, checking frequently for rub spots or other issues. I wish she was easier to handle so that I could take it off for her to dust bathe, but she seems to do well even with it on.

We're treating the whole flock for external parasites soon, as we found what we think is a fowl tick on one hen's face, and there are other hens starting to show feather issues (though they are favorites of our roo, so parasites may not be to blame). It's been a damp, muddy summer so far and dust bathing has been hard to come by, even the baths I set up in sheltered areas get damp and unhelpful.

tonyroo - thanks for the advice about protein! I do usually switch the whole flock to Feather Fixer or similar for a couple of months in late summer/fall. They hate it, which is so weird to me - can they really sense the difference between 16% and 20% protein, and why would that be off-putting? I may switch everyone early this year as we've got all kinds of molting going on - broody hens post-babies, young birds, and so on.

Hello! Yes, she's finally growing feathers. She's been in one of the Down Under Outdoors saddles since roughly May 1. Her tail fell completely out and she's been walking around looking very much naked under the saddle, but about three weeks ago she began to grow new feathers. She's still laying - poor little production hen - but has beautiful new pinfeathers atop her wings and under her saddle.
We keep the saddle on pretty much 24/7, checking frequently for rub spots or other issues. I wish she was easier to handle so that I could take it off for her to dust bathe, but she seems to do well even with it on.

We're treating the whole flock for external parasites soon, as we found what we think is a fowl tick on one hen's face, and there are other hens starting to show feather issues (though they are favorites of our roo, so parasites may not be to blame). It's been a damp, muddy summer so far and dust bathing has been hard to come by, even the baths I set up in sheltered areas get damp and unhelpful.

tonyroo - thanks for the advice about protein! I do usually switch the whole flock to Feather Fixer or similar for a couple of months in late summer/fall. They hate it, which is so weird to me - can they really sense the difference between 16% and 20% protein, and why would that be off-putting? I may switch everyone early this year as we've got all kinds of molting going on - broody hens post-babies, young birds, and so on.
Thanks so much for your reply. This gives me some hope that our little barred rock will grow back her feathers eventually. We'll be sure to up her protein to help her along the way.

Nutrena incorporates herbs in there ingredients, and some chickens hate the taste of that combination.

My chickens like feather fixer but it's pricey so I use meatbird crumbles 22% protein and all flock pellets in my feed bucket year round. It's worked really well and my chickens never suffer extreme molts or feather picking issues among each other.

Back
Top Bottom