Failing?

Any veterinarian should be able to do a faecal float. It's basically just diluting poop in a solution and looking at it under a microscope to search for parasites.

It won't always come up positive if you do have a high worm load, but it generally gives you some idea what you're looking at--and what you need to treat. Different wormers kill different worms, so if you have roundworms and are treating for tapeworms, you may be flat out of luck.
When I called them they did not give me thY option. Or maybe they will take some out of her when they do the necropsy.
I am home now so I have the name of the dewormer it's. Piperazine 52

What state are you in and how old are the birds you lost?

Losing that many birds in short order, I would recommend a necropsy and lab work before you lose more to an unknown cause.

Less then a year. Got then as chicks all together last April. We have one sent for a necropsy

When I called them they did not give me thY option. Or maybe they will take some out of her when they do the necropsy.
I am home now so I have the name of the dewormer it's. Piperazine 52
This is only good for roundworms.
Are you in Canada?

Worms dont kill chickens that quick, not one after another. Once worms are paralyzed by a wormer, they are absorbed as protein or are excreted. The worms feces is toxic when worms are alive, this is what makes chickens sick, weak and lethargic, then death.

Certain strains of cocci can kill quickly, but usually involves bloody feces.
It sounds like you have something serious going on in your flock.
Please let us know the results of the necropsy as soon as you can. I'm sorry for your losses.
Will do

Sorry for all of your problems and losing birds. Where are you located—state or country? With the severe sub-zero temps, are you able to keep the water thawed during the daytime? Have you noticed any vent pecking during their times being confined? If you can get the fecal test it would be great, or get a necropsy if you lose another. But I would treat for possible coccidiosis with some amprollium (Corid) in the water for 7 days. Okay I just see that you are in Newfoundland, so you would need to find amprol from a vet. They also might prescribe sulfa antibiotics instead for coccidiosis. I hope that you can figure out what is killing your birds.

Back
Top Bottom