Failing?

Sorry for all of your problems and losing birds. Where are you located—state or country? With the severe sub-zero temps, are you able to keep the water thawed during the daytime? Have you noticed any vent pecking during their times being confined? If you can get the fecal test it would be great, or get a necropsy if you lose another. But I would treat for possible coccidiosis with some amprollium (Corid) in the water for 7 days. Okay I just see that you are in Newfoundland, so you would need to find amprol from a vet. They also might prescribe sulfa antibiotics instead for coccidiosis. I hope that you can figure out what is killing your birds.
They will not prescribe anything until we get a diagnoses from the necropsy or if they visit. After that they will

The vet called me this morning with the necropsy report.

After going through her the only thing she could determine was a skin infection that went septic.

She could not say much about her liver and kidneys as they has started to decay already from the time of death until she froze.
Her heart looked good and she had good fat stores.

The vet doesn't believe that it was contagious whatever she had so probably unrelated from the other deaths that we had ((1 rooster (worms) and 3 hens one before her and one after))

Her crop and gut were next to empty so it was unlikely she ate in the last couple of days
she did have water in her so she was drinking.

We have not lost another chicken since last Tuesday Fingers crossed we are over that bridge now but i am not sure.

Yesterday we had to bring another 2 chickens inside to clean up because they had there bums picked one was bleeding and the other actually had the skin broken. the one with broken skin was hiding under the feeder for her life. there stool looked like worms still. white milky and runny so we did worm them again this time we soaked some bread in the water so we were sure they would get it they also ate a container of yogurt. we blu-koted there bums and brought them back to the coop before dark and things were still ok this morning. we will check again after work today

I cannot believe your vet will not prescribe amprollium for possible coccidiosis or at least do a fecal float. It is good that they don’t believe you have anything contagious going on, but it would be nice to have some lab reports. Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom