Failure to thrive 3 day old chicks

LLvida

Chirping
Apr 4, 2022
These little peeps have been through a lot! Both born with attached yolk, both still have it drying on their bottomed still.

Both covered in yolk ick from being isolated in mugs in the incubator to avoid further yolk trauma so neither have fluffed.

Yellow one drinks on its own and pecks at the dry food. Brown one happily eats yolk with electrolyte mixed in several times a day and droppers of electrolytes.

They both peep/cry loudly most of the day and then do this sad standing napping. They hobble around a bit but mostly just stand under the heat lamp (at 96-99 as they seem to need extra heat).

How long can this continue? It is hard to watch and I’m new to hatching my own chicks and feel I’m doing all I can. The other 10 are fluffy and active and aren’t getting much attention from me 🙄

Planning to try a warm bath today to loosen up the feathers, I did this a few days ago but didn’t want to steal their energy by doing it again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 7
Did these chicks hatch early or late?
Were these chicks from older eggs or extra large eggs?
It is odd that only two have this situation when 10 are in good shape.

Neither old eggs are big eggs! First one was a tiny little olive egger, second was a light blue amaracauna.

Early hatching is from high incubation temperature. It can also cause unhealed navels and rough down feathers.
Other causes can be improper turning, fluctuating temperature and breeder nutrition.
What incubator are you using and what thermometer are you using to verify the proper temperature?

Farm innovators with the auto turner. I bought an additional thermometer with humors gauge as well so I could make sure to have accurate readings.

Yes. govee micro hydrometer. Not going to hatch again I don’t think. More interested in how to help these babies if possible.

I am sorry to post late, but I am wondering how your two chicks are doing, number five and number eight. I have just purchased 10 meat bird chicks and I’m experiencing something similar with them on my day three. There are two of them that just don’t seem to be as interested in the food as the others. How did you get yours to eat the yolk?

Back
Top Bottom