failure to thrive or just small?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
last week I went to get what i believed were 6 weeks old silkie mixes, today I went back to the same place for one more.

While I was looking at the chickens, they told me that the frizzle I took home last week was actually older than the others, and showed me her brood mate. It was a smooth silkie mix that looked to be almost full grown. I was very surprised as my frizzle is still a tad smaller than the now 7 week olds.

I actually brought her home because she was so skinny and lethrgic that I felt sorry for her. I thought it was just her vision imparing mop that gave her a hard time and trimmed that. She eats a lot, and has gotten more active. There’s also a little more meat on her bones than last week so I hoped that it would be smooth sailing from here on out.

but now I’m worried that she is a case of failure to thrive...and it’s all been for naught.

do some chickens just end up very small?

last week I went to get what i believed were 6 weeks old silkie mixes, today I went back to the same place for one more.

While I was looking at the chickens, they told me that the frizzle I took home last week was actually older than the others, and showed me her brood mate. It was a smooth silkie mix that looked to be almost full grown. I was very surprised as my frizzle is still a tad smaller than the now 7 week olds.

I actually brought her home because she was so skinny and lethrgic that I felt sorry for her. I thought it was just her vision imparing mop that gave her a hard time and trimmed that. She eats a lot, and has gotten more active. There’s also a little more meat on her bones than last week so I hoped that it would be smooth sailing from here on out.

but now I’m worried that she is a case of failure to thrive...and it’s all been for naught.

do some chickens just end up very small?

I think it looks fine.. its not super small, just a little petite! The feathers make a difference.. the smooth cochin will look very big, but its all fluff!

I have a Cinnamon Queen that is a failure to thrive and is 5-6 weeks old. Compared to my other 14 5-6 week old chicks, she is tiny, wobbles like a drunk person. I believe she might have some type of neurological disorder. Tell me what y’all think. She’s the one on the right
DCAB5FA0-171D-44BA-BDDA-AA0588EF0F0E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7D5E817E-A11D-4F3C-B89C-49822AF2D8EB.jpeg
    7D5E817E-A11D-4F3C-B89C-49822AF2D8EB.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 0
I have a Cinnamon Queen that is a failure to thrive and is 5-6 weeks old. Compared to my other 14 5-6 week old chicks, she is tiny, wobbles like a drunk person. I believe she might have some type of neurological disorder. Tell me what y’all think. She’s the one on the right View attachment 2643648
Aww, is she still eating ok at least? Im not familiar with that breed.. there is a section you can make a new post in regarding possible illnesses though. ❤

Back
Top Bottom