Failure to thrive

Thank you! I hope he does okay, even if he’s smaller than the rest!
If he keeps up like he is going, he should do fine! He's out with his siblings again today. Will just continue to keep a close eye on him. He's too "mature" to hang out with the day olds I see, he wants to scratch around and is clearly bored in the brooder!

That's a good sign!
I think so too! He's a real little spitfire, that's for sure. What he lacks in body, he makes up for in spirit. I'll post updates as time goes by, it will just be a while before there will be much to tell probably!

PS. I'm attaching a photo of him with his siblings, just to show him off! (Don't mind the dirty waterer, tomorrow it's getting a scrub)

Attachments

• 20201126_162024.jpg
    20201126_162024.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 12
You say he eats just fine-- have you checked his crop to make sure it's nicely full at several times during the day?

If he's having any kind of trouble eating, he might keep trying but not actually get enough food. I find it convenient that chickens keep their crop somewhere easy to check ;)

You say he eats just fine-- have you checked his crop to make sure it's nicely full at several times during the day?

If he's having any kind of trouble eating, he might keep trying but not actually get enough food. I find it convenient that chickens keep their crop somewhere easy to check ;)
Oh I will do this! I check it, but not several times during the day. Thank you! I didn't think to do that. Ha! They were put together thoughtfully yes!

Oh I will do this! I check it, but not several times during the day. Thank you! I didn't think to do that.

If you check it a few times in one day, that might be enough.
It's mostly to make sure that when he looks like he's eating, he really does get food inside him!

It could also be worth checking specifically at bedtime for a few days in a row, because they like to really fill up then, so they can digest all night long as they sleep.

If you check it a few times in one day, that might be enough.
It's mostly to make sure that when he looks like he's eating, he really does get food inside him!

It could also be worth checking specifically at bedtime for a few days in a row, because they like to really fill up then, so they can digest all night long as they sleep.
He was full last night! I haven't checked today yet, will go check in a bit. But I'm sure he gets enough, his crop is just as full as his siblings and he's a little glutton for sure! It's really cute!

Back
Top Bottom