Fairfax County, VA

If anyone needs help with chicken permit application let me know. I have just gone through the process in Fairfax County, Virginia.
Hello, I live in McLean on 0.3 acres and am being challenged by my neighbor (who is a retired zoning lawyer!) to ensure I get a permit. I wonder if I'm fighting a losing battle trying to apply for one. Can you write more about your situation and if you successfully got a permit from Fairfax County? Thanks

Hello, I live in McLean on 0.3 acres and am being challenged by my neighbor (who is a retired zoning lawyer!) to ensure I get a permit. I wonder if I'm fighting a losing battle trying to apply for one. Can you write more about your situation and if you successfully got a permit from Fairfax County? Thanks

Adchick,

I live on 0.5 acre in Lorton. From my conversations with the zoning department if you fill out all the paperwork, pay the fee, and your property is well suited for chickens it shouldn't be a problem. Everyone I have spoken with has been helpful and encouraging. Do know if you have any other possible "issues" with your property that the zoning board would view as infractions they will require you fix those issues which may require additional paperwork and fees.

For instance, the shed on my property is too close to the lot line based on current zoning laws. The zoning employee told me I had to either reduce the height of my shed, move it, or apply for a special permit (and pay a bribe...er...um...a fee) for it to "be ok". However, later they realized the shed has been on the tax record since the home was built in the 70's and therefore I'm exempt from this zoning ordinance since taxes have been paid on it for over fifteen years (insert eye roll here). A minor annoyance for me but you may run into issues that aren't as easily fixed.

Here is the link for the special permit webpage on Fairfax County website for more info.

Here is the special permit application packet. You do NOT have to fill out the entire packet. Only certain pages are required for the "modification of the restriction for keeping animals" on your property.

Review the application and the website info and if you have additional questions I'd be happy to help. My application has been "accepted" which just means I met all the paperwork requirements (step 2). There's still more government nonsense to go through but the zoning employees indicated the application is the most difficult part and the rest is mostly just waiting from my end.

Cheers

Adchick,

I live on 0.5 acre in Lorton. From my conversations with the zoning department if you fill out all the paperwork, pay the fee, and your property is well suited for chickens it shouldn't be a problem. Everyone I have spoken with has been helpful and encouraging. Do know if you have any other possible "issues" with your property that the zoning board would view as infractions they will require you fix those issues which may require additional paperwork and fees.

Here is the link for the special permit webpage on Fairfax County website for more info.

Here is the special permit application packet. You do NOT have to fill out the entire packet. Only certain pages are required for the "modification of the restriction for keeping animals" on your property.

Review the application and the website info and if you have additional questions I'd be happy to help. My application has been "accepted" which just means I met all the paperwork requirements (step 2). There's still more government nonsense to go through but the zoning employees indicated the application is the most difficult part and the rest is mostly just waiting from my end.

Cheers

Just curious as to what you used in your written statement of justification (we are filling out the paperwork now)

Just curious as to what you used in your written statement of justification (we are filling out the paperwork now)

Literally copy the letter they include (points A-I) and answer the questions. If the question doesn't apply (B for instance, hours of operation) just write: does not apply.

And then at the end I listed the articles/provisions that we were requesting be amended for our needs. Art. 2-512 p(3b); art. 10-104 sec9 p(b); and 10-102 sec3. I added some fluff and explanation but not much. Your exceptions may be similar but make sure to read through the code and ensure you've addressed each article/section that applies. The only thing they wrote me back and requested I add was to include a statement regarding how the keeping of domestic fowl on my lot will be "harmonious" with the environment.:rolleyes: My exact addition was:

The keeping of the proposed fowl shall be harmonious and compatible with the adjacent area. Thank you.

LOL. After I got an approval letter they tried to have me make additional changes but I refused - I already had the approval letter! Additionally, they asked to come by for a site visit but I refused since it's not required by any ordinance or statute.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Good luck!

Literally copy the letter they include (points A-I) and answer the questions. If the question doesn't apply (B for instance, hours of operation) just write: does not apply.

And then at the end I listed the articles/provisions that we were requesting be amended for our needs. Art. 2-512 p(3b); art. 10-104 sec9 p(b); and 10-102 sec3. I added some fluff and explanation but not much. Your exceptions may be similar but make sure to read through the code and ensure you've addressed each article/section that applies. The only thing they wrote me back and requested I add was to include a statement regarding how the keeping of domestic fowl on my lot will be "harmonious" with the environment.:rolleyes: My exact addition was:

The keeping of the proposed fowl shall be harmonious and compatible with the adjacent area. Thank you.

LOL. After I got an approval letter they tried to have me make additional changes but I refused - I already had the approval letter! Additionally, they asked to come by for a site visit but I refused since it's not required by any ordinance or statute.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Good luck!
Thank you so much! That is helpful. What about hazardous or toxic substances (Para H), what did you put there?

Fairfax County needs a relaxation of chicken and livestock laws. I would suggest the following points:

1) All changes should be relaxing the laws without any new restrictions on what is currently possible. For example, chickens aged 2 months and younger are allowed on an lot because they are considered to be commonly accepted pets. Technically, you can raise those modern fast-growing crossbreed meat birds in 2 months--although not old enough to lay eggs.

2) A good argument to justify a relaxation of the laws for smaller lots in Fairfax County is the fact that the land has been so subdivided, and the property values have gone up so much that it is nearly impossible for anyone to afford a 2-acre property in order to raise birds. All of the 2-acre lots continue to either be subdivided or they build mansions that are unaffordable to all but the wealthiest residents.

There is thus a good "equity" argument for enabling access of chickens to low- and middle-income families by reducing the lot size for chickens, and possibly even allowing some smaller birds like quail, etc. in townhomes or in indoor (garage) facilities.

At the minimum, we should be able to get chickens down to 1/2 acre lots where zoned R-2--still complying with the bird unit limit or some maximum number, whichever is less. Maybe no roosters, but don't volunteer restrictions, use that as a concession in the negotiation.

Think about whether we just want to do chickens, or whether we want to do all fowl and livestock. We could propose animal and bird units that would be acceptable on lots down to 1/2 acre, such as one miniature pony, small goat breeds, etc.
I completely agree, especially with your second point. I find it ridiculous that many of us cannot afford to purchase properties > 2 acres, yet we can't keep hens when the neighborhood dogs are barking all night long. My lot is 15k, and I do not see why I can't keep hens.

If anyone needs help with chicken permit application let me know. I have just gone through the process in Fairfax County, Virginia.
Hi there!

I have chickens in my backyard and someone just called the ffxc code zoning people on me. Just trying to figure out what to do.

:/

Back
Top Bottom