Fairfax County, VA

Hi all--

I'm interesting in getting the ordinance changed to allow for people keeping a couple of chickens (maybe no rooster!) in even a 1/4 acre backyard. Fresh eggs are the best!

Please provide any additional info you have as it becomes available on groups, dates, etc.

Thanks!

And just because you can have chickens doesn't mean someone can't poop on your coop!

Saw these on the Vienna police highlights

Animal Case 11-18235
600 Block Tapawingo Road, SW
November 9 12:00 p.m.

A citizen reported that a resident was housing chickens on his property in a coup and believed
that this was a violation of law.
ACO Barker investigated and found that the chickens were being well cared for and that there
was no violation of any animal laws. The complainant was told to contact the Town of Vienna
Zoning Department to inquire about the unsightly pen.

500 block of Kingsley Road, SW
November 10 12:00 p.m.

• A resident reported that a neighbor was housing chickens on his property. ACO Barker investigated and determined that the animals are actually ducks and they live with a rabbit in a pen. There was no violation of law.

Well, I was curious about my 1/3 acre lot that I recently moved to, and emailed the Vienna Zoning Dept. Seems I got a blessing for 2 hens! (which is all I really need)

-BillHoo
-------------------

To: BillHoo
Cc: "Simeck, Frank" <[email protected]>
Date: 01/05/2012 09:59 AM
Subject: RE: Question regarding chickens

I spoke with the Zoning Administrator about your inquiry and I have listed his concerns below.

· We do not allow ‘urban farming’ within the Town limits and egg producing chickens comes pretty close to that definition. A couple (2) pet chickens would likely be permissible on a lot the size that you describe.
· The placement of the coop/housing may be critical to coexistence with neighbors due to potential noise and odor. The Town has a nuisance noise ordinance that could apply if any pet makes an unusual amount of noise or sounds especially during sleeping hours.
· As with any pet proper sanitation measures (waste removal) should be in place.

For our records could you provide us with the address you are proposing this activity.
I hope this information is helpful and should you need further information please contact us.

Clarence Goodson
Zoning Enforcement Inspector
Town of Vienna
127 Center Street, South
(703) 255-5754
[email protected]
www.vennava.gov

Last edited:
I would really like to participate in getting the chicken laws changed in Fairfax County. We live in Burke on slightly less than a 1/2 acre lot and would like to have 2-4 back yard chickens. I've asked to join the Facebook "chickens for Fairfax" page and would be happy to be very active in changing the regs. Please contact me: [email protected]

I've just learned that I can appeal for a special permit (paying $910!!!) going before the Board of Zoning Appeals to try for permission to have chickens in our backyard. I *may* try this, but really don't like to pay the $910!

Anyone want to join me in fighting this with the county? I talked to the zoning and they said that considering allowing chickens on lots greater than 2 acres in certain sitations in on their priority 2 list for changing the zoning ordinance amendment work plan. If the post below is correct that happened in 2009, with no movement. The zoning staff said that I need to get my county supervisor to push this and that it takes a lot of citizen support to get changed. I think I'm going to start a group and try to push it along. So far, I'm seeing/hearing that the following elected officials are favorable to this:
Jerry Highland of the Mt. Vernon District
Jeff McKay (below letter) of Lee District
and Delegate Mark Sickles

I've asked about quail and guinea hens and they don't seem to be on their list, but the zoning office says that they are covered by the same code above and requires 2 acre minimum.

This is what happened in Prince William county, so I assume that applies to Manassas and Manassas Park as well, unless they are more restrictive (which they probably are). I used to live in Burke Center and then moved to Woodbridge. I now live in South Carolina on 24 acres. So much more relaxing!

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/201...am-county-chicken-saga-comes-close-ar-985662/
Oh my goodness! I am in shock! I live one county over in Spotsylvania on five acres zoned R-U. I have chickens and am in the process of expanding my flock. I read this and got scared. I called the county zoning and asked about chicken ordinances and he said that r-u zoning is utility zoning and that even though it is residential, it can be used for agricultural uses. My neighbors behind me even have horses. Whewww. I guess I dodged a bullet without even realizing it. If there is anything I can do, sign, eyc to help neighboring counties in the fight to have chickens then please let me know.

Is there any update about the meeting that was on February 21, 2012 at 10:00 a.m.? Did Fairfax County make any changes yet?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom