Fairy egg!

LaurenRitz

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
Not sure where to put this!

I have 5 ladies and two roosters. I've been watching, but assumed the girls were still a couple weeks away.

I stepped into the coop and found a fairy egg in the middle of the floor. So I looked around and there it was, a nest right under the roost.

All the eggs sank completely, not even a wobble, but two are cracked because of my own carelessness. All must have started laying within the last week, possibly within the last few days.

I think they deserve scrambled eggs as a reward!

I think four are laying, possibly all five. There are 4 distinct groups, but the fairy egg wasn't in the nest with the others, so possibly a fifth is laying?

Group 1, going clockwise, dark and speckled but they have the same greenish tint as group 3.

Group 2, no speckles and no green tint.

Group 3, no speckles and lighter than Group 1 but splotches with green. Since I have only one of the other breeds, I assume this and group 1 are Jersey Giants.

4, the only egg of its kind, much larger than the others. I think this one is the Bielefelder, they're supposed to lay jumbo eggs

Green splotched eggs in the second picture.
20230328_184648.jpg
20230328_182335.jpg

Not seeing a fairy egg there....pullet eggs can be much smaller than 'normal' eggs for quite awhile. A fairy egg might pop out anywhere.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

Back
Top Bottom