Fairy Eggs

Abigail Rosette

Songster
Mar 28, 2022
Good morning all you chicken peeps!
OMG! Ever gotten a fairy egg?? So cool! I recently discovered one in my nesting boxes, but luckily, my chicken only laid one. šŸ™ SO tiny!! Next to my big fat Welsummer egg, that little fairy egg was quite a peanut. Thank god my chickie laid only one, and was safe but after that incident, I started feeding her extra oyster shells for a bit. The weird thing was though, my fairy egg kinda had a yolk!! The yolk was not encased though, and pretty much looked like a bit of orange slime floating around in the egg white.
Every please let me know your take on this itty bitty fairy eggs!

Okay so... craziest thing just happened. Earlier this morning I was on BYC replying to a thread about fairy eggs. I had gotten one about 2 weeks ago, but thankfully only one. I got off my computer and went outside to check on the chickens... and found a fairy egg lying in the nesting box along with the other eggs!! Now I am totally freaking out. 2 in 1 month!! And I only have 8 chickens who are all under 2 years... Anyone please let me know your take... Is there anything I can do??

Okay so... craziest thing just happened. Earlier this morning I was on BYC replying to a thread about fairy eggs. I had gotten one about 2 weeks ago, but thankfully only one. I got off my computer and went outside to check on the chickens... and found a fairy egg lying in the nesting box along with the other eggs!! Now I am totally freaking out. 2 in 1 month!! And I only have 8 chickens who are all under 2 years... Anyone please let me know your take... Is there anything I can do??
My chickens are pretty sheltered and I really can't think of anything that could be stressing them out... Their feed seems good as well. Increase protein maybe??

Good morning all you chicken peeps!
OMG! Ever gotten a fairy egg?? So cool! I recently discovered one in my nesting boxes, but luckily, my chicken only laid one. šŸ™ SO tiny!! Next to my big fat Welsummer egg, that little fairy egg was quite a peanut. Thank god my chickie laid only one, and was safe but after that incident, I started feeding her extra oyster shells for a bit. The weird thing was though, my fairy egg kinda had a yolk!! The yolk was not encased though, and pretty much looked like a bit of orange slime floating around in the egg white.
Every please let me know your take on this itty bitty fairy eggs!
I've gotten a few of them! They are quite funny next to the larger eggs lol. We've had a couple with no yolk and a couple with a teeny tiny yolk

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I have a Speckled Sussex pullet who just started laying a month or so ago. She has laid perhaps 4 pullet-sized eggs, and 4 fairy eggs. The latest one today was incredibly misshapen, but did contain a thick white (no yolk). Any thoughts?

20220401_155349.jpg
20220401_155221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom