Fake owls as a deterrent? Myth or ?

DWilkins

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
In the past 12 years that I have had Silkies , there has never been a problem with any predators. We live in town, have a large backyard and during the day have let my Silkies free range. In the past month, a large bird has taken note of my girls.We have been keeping them in the run. I will go out for an hour or so and stay with them so they can enjoy some time out and stay right by them, I have six but only two are interested in wanting out. They know when something is in the area as they are on high alert. I have heard of owls being used to keep birds away. Is this a myth? We are thinking about getting a few and placing them around our yard, while keeping them in the run to see if it even helps. There are many trees and I am surprised this bird is flying as low as it has.Has anyone ever used this method? Twice this large bird has come down between the coop and the trees to see scope things out. We also have a lot of squirrels. My two Maltese and Morkie also have chaperones when going out side.We are hoping that by leaving them on the coop/run whatever bird this is, will become bored and move on.We live in Iowa so as winter approaches, my silkies do not free range in the winter.I do not want to harm whatever bird this may be as it is only doing what it's instincts are telling it. I am looking for other options.

There's at least one great picture here with a fake owl and the raptor perching on it! Save your money.
Keep your flock in their safe coop and run for at least two weeks, or longer, until that bird is gone elsewhere. Don't think that you can save them by being out with them either!!!
You are likely encouraging it to stick around longer...
Also protect your tiny dogs; they should never be outside alone anyway.
Get your bird book out to ID your visitor, and get pictures. Enjoy the wildlife while protecting your little ones.
Mary

I have heard of owls being used to keep birds away. Is this a myth?
Yup.
full

Best bet:
full

Twice this large bird has come down between the coop and the trees to see scope things out.
What kind of large bird?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-24_18-12-4.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom