Fall and winter egglaying??

funonahonda

Songster
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Central Ohio
Hello,
It has been about 3 to 4 weeks since the chickens have laid any eggs, just wondering if it is because of the time change, Can we put a light in there to make them lay again? Thanks for the help.

There is some feathers all over the run and the coop but that is just what comes off every once and a while, they are not missing no feathers, or have any bare spots without feathers.

If it's not a moult then it's more than likely the change of seasons and the decreased amount of daylight that brings.
You can add light to keep the egg laying going but you should read up on it first here on BYC. There are some good reasons why it's wise to let the chickens have a winter vacation.

Quote:
You can do a keyword search for 'adding light'. Here's one to get you started:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=101378&p=1
Here are the basics: If you chose to supplement light, it's best to add it in the morning vs. at night. You'll need about a total of 14 hrs. of light a day.
A hen only has a certain number of eggs to lay in her lifetime. You can add light and get a steady stream of eggs but it's likely that hen will stop laying for good at an earlier age than if you let her go natural (no additional light). If you don't add light the hen may or may not take a winter break (depending on the breed), which is good for her because egg production is hard work and takes a toll on the hen's body. Without added light the hen will lay when nature intended her to and will more than likely lay for a longer period over her lifetime.
I'm am very pro-natural, but like I said read up on it. I think it's important to know both sides of the coin before you decide.
Edited to fix the link.

Last edited:
In commercial operations they don't get that break. Some folks that raise them as livestock vs. pets also don't give them that break. They just prefer to cull and replace them after just 2 or 3 years.
For people that consider them to be pets with benefits (the benefits being the eggs) it just makes sense to give them that rest period. I want my chickens to be around for a good long time and still be able to help pay for their feed.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom