Fall first time layers?

Tomandalaina

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
I have a few hens that are approaching laying age. They are around 20/21 weeks and I have noticed reddening of combs and larger wattles. No vocalizations yet, no squatting. My question is this...if a hen comes of laying age in the fall will they wait until the following spring to lay their first egg? I’ve heard that some stop laying in the colder months when there’s less daylight. Will this mess up the ones so close to laying?

It's been my experience that pullets (Barred Rocks) that begin laying in the fall continue to lay all winter. I've had pullets start laying as late as Thanksgiving.

In my experience, my pullets that mature in the fall lay through the winter but the following winter they do not.

Some breeds may wait until spring before beginning to lay. It really depends on which breeds you have.
For instance, marans are known to mature later than some. I would not expect eggs from them until late winter early spring.

I am curious about this too. I have 3 golden comets and one is showing red comb and wattles but the other two are a bit behind. No laying yet. I expect all 3 will be laying by Halloween, so I hope that is soon enough for them to continue through their first winter.

In my experience, my pullets that mature in the fall lay through the winter but the following winter they do not.

Some breeds may wait until spring before beginning to lay. It really depends on which breeds you have.
For instance, marans are known to mature later than some. I would not expect eggs from them until late winter early spring.
They were sold as Easter eggers but I’m not 100% They are certainly a mix of something though. That would be great if they did lay through the winter!! I’ve been waiting long enough 😁

Only time will tell.
Had a 20wo start laying yesterday....hope she keeps it up cause she's the only one laying.
Last year I hatched out later and those pullets did not start laying until near solstice(didn't record exactly when).
I use supplemental lighting tho, and that can make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom