Fall nest question

showmestatebill

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
South Mo,
I have a pair of IB's around the first of September I acquired two more hens an IB Pied and a bronze. The first of week or so of October the Pied laid 4 eggs in the chicken run [no chickens] she has been sitting since. So they should hatch any day. If so, should I let her raise them or put them in a brooder? Also, do they retain sperm until they nest and lay like birds or do the mate often during the laying process? With that Q, I guess I'm trying to narrow down the male side of the equation.
Our IB hen nested in the pasture the last two springs but something raided her nest. So as you can tell I am inexperienced with the chick process.
Advice would be appreciated.

Doubt they are fertile either, but if they are I'll go the other way - I would definitely pull them and raise them until 2-3 months old. Peahens are not the brightest moms in good weather, definitely not this time of year. She'll have them out in the frost at a day old.

We always let them keep their last clutch of the summer and even though they have a good hatch rate (yes, I'm jealous!), the survival rate isn't good, especially with younger hens.

Back
Top Bottom