1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fall vs. spring chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peony7, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Peony7

Peony7 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Hi,
    We got our first batch of chicks in the spring a few years back, then the second batch in the fall last year. We are going to add again, but wonder if anyone has any thoughts about the pros and cons of spring vs. fall chicks? I know that fall born hens will probably molt the following fall, but any other insight? (I'm in it for the eggs).

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I like fall chicks for this reason. If you start in early September, they often begin lay in February, right when production is appreciated. I like spring chicks too. They will lay that first fall when the older birds sometimes shut down and go into moult.

I like Fall chicks hatched on Sept 1. I like Spring chicks hatched March 1. The above is based on those dates.

As to whether this year's fall chicks will moult next fall? You never know.
    The bottom line is I like having a staggered flock. They help balance out egg production over the year.

3. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Chicken math demands that you get both. Some in fall + some in spring = constant production.
    [​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Sound like you have run the gauntlet before and understand how to successfully raised babies. Concrats

Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I've never hatched fall chicks, but I have done mid-summer chicks. The nice thing about mid-summer chicks is that they don't need a light but for the first couple of weeks and they start laying right around Thanksgiving. By the time Christmas rolls around, they've gone from pee-wees to decent sized eggs. I like to blow the yolk out of eggs and then decorate them to be Christmas ornaments.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I didn't catch where in the world you are but I'd think that a disadvantage of fall chicks would be that it will be harder to transition them off of the heat if you live in a colder climate. My folks bought late-August chicks here in TN. They were more concerned with preventing overheating the first few weeks (kept them in their air-conditioned house with a light) and then it got cold at night before the chicks were done growing their body feathers. So, they had a heat lamp they'd switch on at night. Overall, their "chick care" phase was several weeks longer than mine was with April chicks. Both batches thrived just fine, though.

Quote:OH! I'm going to have to start blowing out green eggs! The kids could paint them with glue and put on a sprinkle of iridescent glitter... Thanks for the idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by