False Labor???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ruth, Sep 12, 2007.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My 4 BSLs all started laying this week and it's been fun watching them go in coop and get in nest box and wait for them to come out so I can get the egg.

Today, while free ranging, one of them starts squawking and making a rukus in the yard. I'm thinking she's laid an egg but could not find one. Few minutes later she's pacing in front of closed coop/run gate and squawking so I open the gate. She goes and gets in nest box. 45 minutes later she comes out and stands at door of coop and crows/squawks (hen style) for about 5 minutes. I'm laughing because I think she must be announcing that she's laid a whole nest of eggs. But...NO... not a single one.

Do hens have false labor? Or was she just trying to get even with the one that had laid an egg earlier today?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:I hope SHE was BOK BOK BOKING because if SHE is crowing, I wouldn't get my hopes too high about getting eggs from that one. [​IMG]

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Yeah, you're right. But it was a hen's version of crowing. So loud I thought neighbors would be coming over to see what was going on.

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I hope SHE was BOK BOK BOKING because if SHE is crowing, I wouldn't get my hopes too high about getting eggs from that one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ours did the same for a few days but then the eggies came. Boy, am I glad we have no immediate neighbors b/c the squawk is so loud we'd have to gag 'em!

5. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    It could also be that she has too many distractions/disturbances in the nest box.

Mine come tell on the other ladies if one will not get out of the nest box!!!

You hear this "er er r r r r r r r r r r r!" and they come running to me...and when I follow them, they take me to the nest box, where one of the other ladies looks at me like "I'm NOT FINISHED YEt!!!!" hehehehehehe

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:My roo stays next to the pullet that's laying and if another gets to close he chases her out of the house so she won't bother the one that's laying. Another great reason to have a roo!

7. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    One of my Plymouth Barred Rock pullets laid an egg in the nest box today (first one in the right place). She made absolutely no noise as I was standing in the coop.

I'm studying what they'll choose as their favorite next box lining.

I thought sheep's wool (merino/suffolk cross) would be wonderfully soft and warm.

Cindy has heard that shredded paper is good, and we're in a dry climate, so no moisture issues.

I gave them a third choice this morning. We have some really lousy "tri-mix" hay that was harvested too late. There are seed heads and very coarse stems and they won't eat it.

So, each day, I scoop the left-overs from their feeder into a wheelbarrow destined for the chicken run or the compost pile.

Lo and behold, the PBR laid her egg in the nest made with the lousy hay.

Oh, and we've added antique glass eggs to give them a not-so-subtle hint.

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens love being vocal. Sometimes it makes sense and other times they are being a con. If you are lucky enough to free range your birds and also have a rooster, than you are quite aware of how they con the hens with treats that aren't always there.

Special vocal sounds when their is a hawk in the sky for example, is always heated with everyone looking for cover. Sometimes it really matters and sometimes they are being chickens. The more time you spend near your flock the more you become aquainted with their sounds.... gotta love those those pretty hens!

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by