Family Owned Farm Expanding into Poultry

Avanella Acres

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Martinsville Indiana
we are a family owned and family operated farm. we have an apple orchard and run a family friendly pumpkin patch yearly, im looking to expand into chickens ducks and turkeys, and hope to get alot of good info from here

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your farm! Be sure to check out the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles It has lots of information on chickens and their care.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Every Halloween when my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) carve Jack-O-Lanterns out of our pumpkins, we feed the seeds to our chickens and they go crazy over them. With your pumpkin patch, you'll have lots of treats for your chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any specific breed of chickens in mind?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh how fun! A pumpkin patch! I love to grow pumpkins. Don't know why, but I just love to watch them grow and see all those pumpkins left on the vine in the fall. Lovely!

Definitely stop by our learning center for lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry. And if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Someone in our area used to have a pumpkin patch every year and invite kids to take whatever ones they wanted. Pumpkins always seem benign and cheerful, I have always loved them. Sadly the farmer died several years ago and the village took over his property and tore down the house. Think about him every fall. Wish they had kept his house up and made use of it rather than wiping out every clue of his existence.

Do you plan to have a petting zoo also? Kids love that. Also I see a lot of similar operations also have a corn maze. Best of luck with your venture. Welcome to BYC

we are expanding the pumpkin patch this next year, it will have a small petting zoo, upon entry kids will get a hot apple cider (home made) or hot chocolate and a cookie, face painting and pumpkin painting, also adding a small area with a electric fireplace we will have grandpa telling ghost stories at, we only charge 3.00 dollars to get in and do all this and pick a pumpkin. but there is a huge call for local poultry and local eggs. ive had chickens before but not on the scale i hope to reach. and thanks for the great welcome.

Back
Top Bottom