Fan went out in incubator and temp got to 108 degrees. Will these chicks live?

I guess I have a total of 6 babies. The other 5 don't look like they are going to hatch. I got 5 Silver Sebrights and 1 Golden Sebright. I don't have names for them yet. My husband really likes them though which is great because normally he's not that interested. He thinks they are cool looking though! They are all out of the incubator and in the brooder now and doing great. I'm thinking of selling my incubator now. I have a Little Giant with an auto turner as well. I want to slow down on hatching eggs and its easier to do when I only have 1! I've had them set up where I was hatching every weekend! Too many babies! I've sold a few and given some to my aunts and they were really grateful because chicken prices can be really high when you are trying to build a decent sized, high quality flock! I'm still waiting to hear back from the NPIP people. All my birds passed the blood test. I'm just waiting to hear if the mouth swabs pasted as well. I really want to be NPIP certified for my own peace of mind since I'm eating the eggs.

I have just had the same problem with my homemade cooler box incy. Around 108 degrees for about three hours this morning.The eggs were candled yesterday and most seem fertile (at 7 days). Six of the eggs are bantam silkies so fingers crossed. I hope they all survive. I will candle again next wednesday .By the way I love this forum..Tony in Great Britian,Europe.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Try re-wiring it, maybe there was a loose connection in the wiring or a wire broke in there - that often happens right where there is a bend or constant flexing. I had to rewire the battery charger for my drill because of that...certainly wasn't going to toss it!

You might need to get a new fan, depending on how much use yours has had.

Yesterday I filled my small incubator with 11 eggs at 6 pm and the temperature was very slowly rising as is normal since the eggs were at room temperature (which is a bit cool - it is early spring here in Australia so about 13-15C/55-60F) I can't believe I didn't get around to checking them until 10pm, but it was up to 42C or 108F at that point. I think the slow temp rising threw off the incubator's heating system so wasn't reading and adjusting correctly. It said it was 38C/100F on the incubator, but showing 42C/108F on my glass interior thermometer. I cooled them off and adjusted temps as needed and all has been well and steady since then.

Does anyone know how long it takes to raise the interior temperature of the egg? I'm hoping even though it was 4 hours, they took awhile to increase in temps inside and weren't that hot for too long. It will be a painful wait for next week when I can candle!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

I've heard people say it takes a while, but I'm not sure what that means
hu.gif
......about a week into my incubation, when I candled, it threw off my temp and it spiked to 108 for a few hours. I don't know how long it took to rise or how long it was at 108.... I'm not sure if that had anything to with my losing a bunch of my eggs. Maybe not, because they were shipped.

I think it's possible that some of your eggs will be damaged....sorry about that....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom