Fans inside the coop?

WatkinsCluckers

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
It gets super hot here in Texas and this is my first summer with chickens. I have a little fan inside the coop along with a box fan pointing in their run. My husband is concerned that it will cause fires. Hast anyone experienced an issue with fans? I was wanting the little fan inside to run inside during the night and the box fan during the day. Here is a picture of inside the coop.

Attachments

• 58F9BEB6-CE13-4E9F-87CF-236FDE208598.jpeg
    58F9BEB6-CE13-4E9F-87CF-236FDE208598.jpeg
    576.3 KB · Views: 59
It gets super hot here in Texas and this is my first summer with chickens. I have a little fan inside the coop along with a box fan pointing in their run. My husband is concerned that it will cause fires. Hast anyone experienced an issue with fans? I was wanting the little fan inside to run inside during the night and the box fan during the day. Here is a picture of inside the coop.
I run a box fan in the coop in hot nights and a floor fan in the run. No issues.

We have a box fan in the coop.... we were actually talking today it wasnt big enough. :D
I would worry more that they might knock it down. I would try some way to maybe mount it. I like that ours is secured.

I have a large converted tool shed for my coop and have several fans. 2 blowing in (not directly facing the perch area or blowing directly on them) and another blowing out a vent near the roof. From what I understand air circulation is the goal to keep the temperature bearable. We’re already in the low 90’s here in NC. I always worry about them overheating every summer, the heat is miserable 😩

My husband is concerned that it will cause fires.

Call me over-cautious if you like, but I agree with your husband. An ordinary household fan, not designed for the dusty environment of a chicken coop, is an electrical fire waiting to happen. At the least the dust will ruin the motor.

There are fans made for industrial and agricultural purposes, which would be safer and longer-lasting.

It depends on the time of summer. If we have mild mornings, then we turn them off at night. If it's a hot spell, then we try to move air all night as well. We try to utilize the the fan in upper windows as an exhaust and one down low to pull air into the coop.... that way it's a more natural air flow. (My coop is a rather large building)
Awesome. How long do you keep yours running for?

Livestock fans exist, and are meant to handle the dust without the fire hazard of a household fan. You can buy a roof turbine vent (or two) - they can be electric or not. The non-electric would be moved by wind and/or by the rising heat in the coop. Some people employ misters in a shady area for a cool moist area, but not all chickens love to get wet, so use it only in an area, not the whole run.

Back
Top Bottom