1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fans With Phoenix Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bosque, May 17, 2009.

1. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hi,

This is a follow-up to the post about a coop for Phoenix. I keep seeing people say that they are using fans to help keep the coop cool in the desert heat. Can someone post some pictures to show this? Do you want the fan to blow on the birds or vent the heat out of the coop?

thanks,

bosque

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    bump

3. Lil chick chick

Lil chick chick Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Nampa, Idaho
    I'm sorry, but what does "bump" mean?

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Bosque, I have this question too. So for now I have one fan on one side blowing in fresh air, and in the same line, but on the other side of the building blowing out hot air. So it kinda circulates into the coop, around and then out the same way, like a U . I plan to cut some cross ventilation windows soon, to let air circulate in a more natural fashion.

5. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I wish that I had a picture to show you but basically I put mine just where it will circulate the air not blow directly on the birds. I use my fans in combination with my misters and green screen. We use the green screen to cover the top of the runs as to let light in but block the heat. The misters cool the air and they are placed wherever you think they will be most useful. We do not have closed walled coops. Our coops are wire with a small enclosure for laying and such. Unless you want to put an evaporative cooler or air conditioner in your coop you won't be able to have a closed walled coop in phoenix.

Let me see if I can find a link or something for a pic to help you.

Edit: Look at her coop. I know there is no fan in there but I would probably put one in each upper corner to create circulation after the temps go over 90 or so. You can put the fans on an angle if you don't want to actually cut holes into your enclosure walls. I might also put a string mister around the top rail of the run with green screen in the hottest of the summer. ArizonaDesertChicks: if you see this I am not putting down your coop. I think its great but I am just trying to help explain what we do. You have beautiful birds and I am sure that you take awesome care of them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111571

We use BIG fans like box fans not little ones like a bathroom ventilation fans.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  6. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Bump puts you back on the screen so someone who has an answer to your question may see your post. I would not want the air to blow on a chick but rather around or some other way. Vents at the bottom will help get cooler air in and large vents at the top with a fan blowing out will take the hot air out. I do not live in that hot a climate so can not help too much. Gloria Jean

7. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
  8. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    OOOOhhhh now I understand your title for your thread. At first I thought you were saying something naughty. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:And it's something that is against the BYC Rules, so (anyone!) please don't bump threads. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hope that I did not offend anyone, it was just, "Follow-up" [​IMG][​IMG]

I am starting to understand the process of removing the heat. Azcknldy, thanks for the information. My plan was to buld something like back east, but I now understand that I am going to have to build a wood frame with wire for the most confortable home. Lots of shade, air movement, and shade cloth for the run.

Bosque

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by