faq

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmkid8, Aug 2, 2011.

1. farmkid8

farmkid8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    [​IMG] I have twelve hens 5 brahmas ,3 wyandootes (both bantams) ,2 rhode island reds and, 2 new hampshire reds ,and 1 welsummer roo... all of them are scarred of them any advice on how to get them to like me other than feeding them mill worms.

i feed them bread as a treat or a mix of yogurt ,carotts , tommato, oats, and bread crumbs but only the reds will come close to me then when the foods go they hate me help

2. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    keep doing what you're doing. the more time you spend with them giving them treats the more they will "like" you. I use the quotes because I don't think my chickens really "like me" the way my human friends do but they like being near me because I give them treats. Hmmm maybe humans are more like chickens than I thought.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    How old are they? If they are young they might calm down once they reach point of lay.....

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    That's why they are called chickens - they're chicken. Chickens just keep out of 'striking distance' from me. When I bring them treats they all just run to me - eat it up - and then leave. If you want to form a 'relationship' with them, that will take overcoming their instinct to hide from anything as big as a human.
    At present I have 'two' flocks. One group is about a year and a half old, the other is 6 months old. The older ones trust me enough to walk nearby, or come near me as I walk around their 'grazing' area. The younger ones at as yours do. If I am there they are not. They trust me not at all. I figure that by allowing enough time to pass the younger ones will get used me, too.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 19, only 2 of the older ones allow me to scoop them up, a RIR and BSL...

The 3 7 week olds, 2 will allow me to touch and hold them...

just spend time with them, don't scare them, and keep bringing treats, maybe sit on the ground with the treats and see if they hop in you rlap,
    don't grab at them, see what they do. They may never "befriend" you...they are animals after all...and chickens to boot!

6. Backyard hens

Backyard hens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have all three of my bantam hens with a swollen crop on the right side. I am not new to chickens but just never have noticed it. Im hoping it will go down in swelling overnight. But if it doesnt what kind of medicine should i get? Any brands would be helpful thanks. :)
    (Didnt realized i replyed to a specific person)

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

You will probably get a better response if you start your own thread in the emergencies and diseases section of the forum...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by