Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

We collect rain water. We store enough to gravity water a dozen head of cattle, 100 head of sheep, rabbits and 100+ chickens, plus several gardens totaling about an acre. So yes, or tanks are large. It's amazing how much rain just one metal roof can collect with only an inch of rain.
We don't ever add anything to our tanks. Instead, the ones that ever have any sun hit them have large gold fish in them. This keeps the algae down no problem.
The largest tank which gravity feeds the house has well water instead of rain water, so it's a dark tank that light does not penetrate.
Maybe it is just the late hour . . But I"m a bit confused. Is the acre a holding pond or is than an acre of garden?

Are these plastic tanks? HOw long to they last?? as in durability? Is the dark tank just a panted tank or a dark plastic?

We don't have a pond, we have about 50 acres. About an acre of that is vegetable gardens. Fruit are in a deterrent area. The water is held in various water tanks - some opaque, some dark. If you go to the "tanks for less" Web site you will find quite a variety of options. Our 1550 dark tank came from there and was quite affordable

We don't have a pond, we have about 50 acres. About an acre of that is vegetable gardens. Fruit are in a deterrent area. The water is held in various water tanks - some opaque, some dark. If you go to the "tanks for less" Web site you will find quite a variety of options. Our 1550 dark tank came from there and was quite affordable
THank you sherri, I'll have a look at those tanks. I envision haveing to walk to the river and haul water back . . . and it makes me realize how dependent we have become on pick up tucks, cars and gasoline. ANd frankly, it creates a moment of panic. Not many of use are truely ready in case of a disaster. THen I think how to change that and become better prepared. So many thanks.

I wonder if someone had a river close by and needed to get water that way, if they already had a horse or a couple of cows or something, if they couldn't spend some time teaching it to pull a load... some kind of container on a real strong cart or wagon. I know having water storage containers would be lots easier but if/when push comes to shove it might be something that is doable with a minimum of purchases, assuming you already have some of what you need to get it done.

I wonder if someone had a river close by and needed to get water that way, if they already had a horse or a couple of cows or something, if they couldn't spend some time teaching it to pull a load... some kind of container on a real strong cart or wagon. I know having water storage containers would be lots easier but if/when push comes to shove it might be something that is doable with a minimum of purchases, assuming you already have some of what you need to get it done.
I looked carefully at the path of the spring run off this year to evaluate the possibility of making a farm pond. By late May the run off has completely dried up, but when it is draing off it becomes a dependable stream 4-6 inches deep and 12 + across, and enough to destroy a gravel driveway in one storm. I think if there was a way to dig a large "pond" and put a liner in it . . .

Again, something that will take a it of planning and cannot be constructed on a whim . . .

I looked carefully at the path of the spring run off this year to evaluate the possibility of making a farm pond. By late May the run off has completely dried up, but when it is draing off it becomes a dependable stream 4-6 inches deep and 12 + across, and enough to destroy a gravel driveway in one storm. I think if there was a way to dig a large "pond" and put a liner in it . . .

Again, something that will take a it of planning and cannot be constructed on a whim . . .

Hi Arielle,
http://www.farmtek.com sells pool liners. They usually have some in their clearance section.
How about putting in a spreader dam like the used to do in the Old West to catch runoff?
Best,
Karen

Quote: THe spreader dam is a new concept to me. Will definitely check that out.

I suspect that given the sloping terrain, I will need to scoop and unload down hill . . .and a liner would be good though oddly we have a high water table most of the year. WHen DH digs post holes hitting water is not unusual here.

Am I the only onw that wonders if this is what life was like for the Easteners heading west into the unknown? Wow those people had courage!Though I am sure some were better prepared than others.

Originally Posted by Arielle

Here in Alabama when there is road construction people who want ponds advertise fill dirt. That way they tell the people where to dig and get their ponds dug for free.

Originally Posted by Arielle

Here in Alabama when there is road construction people who want ponds advertise fill dirt. That way they tell the people where to dig and get their ponds dug for free.
THat is a novel idea!!!!

Back
Top Bottom