Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Thats encouraging, thanks. I did not want elderberries, but that is what was left by the time I got to the plant sale. Then I started reading about them and it was quite interesting, the history/lore and the many uses. Can't eat them raw, though. Do you ever use yours?

I just planted a couple of elderberries on the edge of the compost pile, which is a regularly scheduled location for the flock. I hope they do well. One person said they like edge habitat, but its a berry, so I would think that too much shade could be a problem. This location is wide open in full sun. I am planting woody shrubs throughout the pasture to provide cover and interest for the chickens. They like to get out of the mid day sun. But I am cheap and prefer small plants, that I can pick up from the master gardeners or others. I want to check into portable, folding barriers that I can put around young plants to protect from the flock, until they get big enough to withstand the scratching onslaught. Does any one have any ideas?

Now you got me to thinking! I have to protect my trees from my birds in their pens and I have to protect them from the rabbits outside the pens!

I just got a picture in my head! This is scary (for those of you who know me)!

Saw horse. First I would build a frame for the middle to be open and then add sawhorse legs and supports on hinges. I would have wire (probably welded) around the perimeter of the sawhorse legs. That would give the tree room to grow and I could take it apart if needed.

Actually, thinking about it, it probably wouldn't need hinges.
I protect the roots of young plantings, and others with sticks etc. as part of the mulch. They can quickly destroy plants with shallow roots.

I protect tender new growth with a ring of welded wire fence.

I put a ring of welded wire fence around young trees too. That way the chickens cannot scratch up the roots. I was thinking though, for even older trees, perhaps putting a thick mulch on and then adding some pavers on top of everything to keep the birds from removing all the mulch might be something to consider. I'd leave space between the pavers (about a half inch or so) to be sure the water could get through.

Maybe we need a plant sharing thread. Many things like mulberry, silver maple, various berries, etc grow wild here and multiply easily. I regularly more some down just to keep some open space.

Many things can be grown from cutting, as well.
That sounds like a wonderful idea! Of course, there isn't much that I could contribute but I'd love to take part in that.

My chickens get under them just like the ruffed grouse and compete to see who can eat more... of course there is also June berry, dogwood scrub and wild currants, goosberry and raspberry in the section.

So, I planted my three little trees this morning. It's quite overcast here so a perfect day! It wasn't raining when I started but I got pretty damp by the time I finished.

One tree is bigger than the other two by quite a bit and I'm hoping it will grow fast.

The mulberry tree which the lady thinks is the parent donor of all the little ones she has had wasn't a large tree at all. Maybe 15-20 feet and had a lovely spread, made lots of shade! It was about 20 years old, if I remember correctly. She said she planted it when she first bought her place. She wondered if it was so short because she didn't provide lots of water for it.

I certainly don't want or need a 75 foot tree. We get too much wind here and there are not enough structures or other trees to help break the brute force of our winds... shorter trees for me will be just fine. So long as I can walk underneath them without banging my head or getting a branch tangled in my hair.

Thats encouraging, thanks. I did not want elderberries, but that is what was left by the time I got to the plant sale. Then I started reading about them and it was quite interesting, the history/lore and the many uses. Can't eat them raw, though. Do you ever use yours?

You can make wonderful wine with it, takes a long time to age though. This bottle we made has been around for a while (2002) , the label is faded! It is our last one and I guess we have kept it for sentimental reasons.

All this talking has got me thinking we need to get another batch going this fall!!! Pic won't load right side up :(

For protection from the critters we use 2x4 field redtop wire fencing - If you need tighter protection use 1x4 welded.
This is primarily to keep deer and larger critters of them. However if there is fruit it don't keep Brer Blackie Bear
out. He just climbs it pulling it down as he goes depending on size . Usually happens to one a year.

It is held up with 1/2 inch metal conduit - one piece gives you two stakes.
Both ends are tied to one of the posts and together to form your circle.
You can untie to get in to prune , mulch etc.
Works great.
We have them around all our wildlife fruit and nut trees in food plots.
The only thing that keeps the bear off is Electric fence.

Jam and wine. I have eaten a few raw, but they aren't very good.

Finches love them. My primary use is wildlife attractant. I have five acres of land, but two of it is flood plain. I plant my pumpkins and such there and put it 100 hybrid poplar last year as well as bayberry on my hill, highish cranberry, blueberry, oak, sugar maple, american Filbert as well as transplanted various maple, mulberry and, oak, wild cherry and such. That was a busy three days (yes, three days of planting). mulberry literally grow by the hundreds wild here. They can be printed to keep low, although if allowed to grow large are not prone to uprooting in the wind. The wood is relatively strong and reasonable firewood. The best eating crops are from trees in the 15-20 year range. Best eaten directly from the tree. They don't keep and make a poor wine alone.

Most of my yes are for wildlife and future generations.

I don't consider myself a homesteader, but grew up living here for 50+ years ago and learned how to respect nature and it's bounty. I guess I've always just lived this way.

Now you got me to thinking!  I have to protect my trees from my birds in their pens and I have to protect them from the rabbits outside the pens!

I just got a picture in my head!  This is scary (for those of you who know me)!  

Saw horse.  First I would build a frame for the middle to be open and then add sawhorse legs and supports  on hinges.  I would have wire (probably welded) around the perimeter of the sawhorse legs.  That would give the tree room to grow and I could take it apart if needed.

Actually, thinking about it, it probably wouldn't need hinges.

I put a ring of welded wire fence around young trees too.  That way the chickens cannot scratch up the roots.  I was thinking though, for even older trees, perhaps putting a thick mulch on and then adding some pavers on top of everything to keep the birds from removing all the mulch might be something to consider.  I'd leave space between the pavers (about a half inch or so) to be sure the water could get through.

That sounds like a wonderful idea!    Of course, there isn't much that I could contribute but I'd love to take part in that.

Is it legal to ship uninspected plants state to state? I know what is considered natural in some areas is considered invasive in others.

Photos of my young coming in a few minutes!!!!

Juvenille Nelson based cockerels (sons of a champion Cock) and two females sired by one of my hatchlings last year! Will be breeding from these boys in spring. The cockerels bring in new blood but same breeding line base.

Baby chicks from this year just got a larger box and just in time!!! Will be selling some later on after I make my selections to keep. If you live close to Atlanta, MI or want to pick up later then message me. Here they are....

Sire of small chicks is my avatar and maternal is one of these two:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom