Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Quote: LOL, I think you've beat it into me now. Pick a breed I like, will be happy with, and will want to work with.
wink.png

DP = Dual Purpose

Thanks for the recipes and help.

LOL, I think you've beat it into me now. Pick a breed I like, will be happy with, and will want to work with.
wink.png

DP = Dual Purpose

Thanks for the recipes and help.

There is a dual-purpose aspect to well-bred Mediterranean breeds. They are not a meat ideal, but they're still good. I'd say especially as spatchcocked broilers and stewing fowl. One of them is an awesome choice. Given where you live and the fact that you'd be wanting to select for productivity enhanced SOP qualities, you could be the next best thing to happen to White Faced Black Spanish in a century. Then, there's always Anconas
wink.png

For larger dual purpose breeds, it's hard telling. What akes you smile?

Last edited:
a couple of young Sumatra Roo's I processed this morning. I'll let them age until Saturday, then Brine, then crock pot all day Sunday. Going to be a delicious home grown meal!

a couple of young Sumatra Roo's I processed this morning. I'll let them age until Saturday, then Brine, then crock pot all day Sunday. Going to be a delicious home grown meal!

I'm impressed by the good breast muscling!! NOt what I would expect in a sumatra--now I am rethinking everything I know. Perhaps compared to hatchey stock everything else is likely to be better muscled.

I'm impressed by the good breast muscling!! NOt what I would expect in a sumatra--now I am rethinking everything I know. Perhaps compared to hatchey stock everything else is likely to be better muscled.

I have found games and game-types viz Caubalayas, OEGs, et al. to be rather good eating. It's only whether or not one can conform one's expectations as to actualy size. The muscling is certainly respectable and quite flavorful. Approach them like pheasants and use pheasant-based recipes. You won't be disappointed.

I would like to know how one can feel if a bird is meaty. Or look and tell. I have birds that are big but was told that doesn't mean they are more meaty than the smaller birds.

I would like to know how one can feel if a bird is meaty. Or look and tell. I have birds that are big but was told that doesn't mean they are more meaty than the smaller birds.
You have to handle them. It is difficult to see what a soft feathered bird has until you pick them up and handle them. Many strains are as much feather as they are anything.

If you handle them and process them, you will get a feel for it.

Back
Top Bottom