Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Maggiesdad, you and I are similar. I have resorted to buying store birds now that I have to hatch out again. I didn't put birds away last year. We have two adults, a 12 yo boy, 9 yr old girls, 1 yo girl and the shepherd. I don't usually get sandwich meat anymore, just stock. I have been strongly considering moving to ducks or even geese. I notice this thread focuses on chickens. Does anyone raise meat ducks or meat geese? I never ate a goose. I know I can't kill them-- too smart and pretty for me, but raising them for it seems practical. Anyone?

I have to admit I never ate goose. I have eaten a lot of things and intend to eat more but that's not one. There is a man here who swears by using his goose lard instead of the bacon lard. I wonder if duck could be used similarly?

I guess the laying season for geese and their laying biannually puts a dent in plans to raise and eat lots of meat, but I have said this before: American's eat too much meat.

Read through this thread and really enjoyed it. In particular Bob's posts have really changed the way I want to approach breeding my flock once I get things settled. Which brings me to the advice I seek. I am having a terrible time finding a good source of the breed(s) I'm looking for so I'm wondering what my best option is: Option A: be more patient and keep looking even if it means a couple years before I get started. Option B: Pick different breeds that are more readily available. Option C: resort to hatchery stock, order 100-200 chicks, cull them down to 8-10 (if i could even find that many not horrible) adults to start my line.

What breeds interest you? Lots of different varieties are represented by the people who post and read here.
I believe the Heritage Large Fowl thread is also a good place to search for sources of your desired fowl.

I'm hoping to work with 3 breeds (I know it's a lot but space, facilities and time aren't an issue) the Langshan, the Chantecler, and White Faced Black Spanish. I've sent emails to breeders but haven't had much luck getting replies. I may cut out one of either Chantecler or Langshan seeing as how I only need one dual purpose breed, but Langshans have been my favorite breed for nearly 20 years and I just find the Chantecler stunning and both are in need of more dedicated breeders. My desire to work with fewer breeds and help preserve older heritage breeds comes from being tired of "breeding" whatever strikes my fancy and whatever has competition for so long. A couple years hiatus from chickens has shown me how stupid that was an now want to take some breeds that deserve preservation and work with them for the long haul.

I'm hoping to work with 3 breeds (I know it's a lot but space, facilities and time aren't an issue) the Langshan, the Chantecler, and White Faced Black Spanish. I've sent emails to breeders but haven't had much luck getting replies. I may cut out one of either Chanticleer or Langshan seeing as how I only need one dual purpose breed, but Langshans have been my favorite breed for nearly 20 years and I just find the Chantecler stunning and both are in need of more dedicated breeders. My desire to work with fewer breeds and help preserve older heritage breeds comes from being tired of "breeding" whatever strikes my fancy and whatever has competition for so long. A couple years hiatus from chickens has shown me how stupid that was an now want to take some breeds that deserve preservation and work with them for the long haul.
Have you been to the other web site there is a Chanateler club message board on there.??

In Langshangs have you tried Urch? He has many old breeds that you might be able to get.

Many of the good breeders do not fool with chicks or eggs and that is one reason many do not return emails or stuff to folks who may ask for eggs or chicks. Sometimes you have to get a male and two females at a show where they attend. You live in Washington State and I was one of the Centralia Gang in the 1960s. Be patient and you might be able to get something. Are you planing on showing these birds or just want them for personnel use?

I will work to help you on the breeds and see if my leads will help you. Stay away from Hatcheries. Urch Poultry Farm has old and good breeds but he is on his way close to retirement from all his old breeds. He is getting older and I am afraid many of his birds are going to be gone soon if they dont fall into good hands many of the old lines will be gone in three to five years.

There is a old breed that needs help called Mottled Javas. I found a old line that is about 40 years old and can supply some chicks to some faith full donw the road if the fertility comes around.

There is a fellow in Tenn who has white face spanshish as I saw his birds at a show a month ago. They are part of the Hertage Large Fowl site.

Bob Blosl Heritage Large Fowl tread

Last edited:
I wonder if you knew my old 4-H leader and mentor Dave Owen back then Bob? He's passed on a while ago but taught me a lot when I was younger and also learned a lot from Vern Sorenson, Jim Lucas, Jim Volk and some of those other Centraila area guys.

As far as the birds go, I always prefer chicks or adults. Don't really want to take the chance of shipping eggs. I was planning on goin to Urch for the Spanish once my brooders are empty again (got a lot of chicks at 4H auction to support their club, sadly nothing too rare or long term interest for me) if he's still got any left. Otherwise will hope for next year. Chantecler wise I did go to the CFI site and send emails to the two most local directors a couple weeks ago. I will just keep hoping and looking (and rebuilding facilities so I can grow).

Edit: just realized I left a question unanswered. These are mostly for personal use and satisfaction but I will be showing as well. I still believe that the shows are the window to the poultry world and want to support them. Breeders will stay on the property but I will also keep some extra offspring around to show if they're worthy, and I have a decent market to sell extra eggs for eating.

Last edited:
I have to admit I never ate goose. I have eaten a lot of things and intend to eat more but that's not one. There is a man here who swears by using his goose lard instead of the bacon lard. I wonder if duck could be used similarly?

I guess the laying season for geese and their laying biannually puts a dent in plans to raise and eat lots of meat, but I have said this before: American's eat too much meat.
It's claimed by some to be the very best grease with which to cook. We have very much enjoyed it. I shall miss it terribly.

Geese don't lay biannually. Sometimes they don't produce well until their second year, but once they start, it's an annual production. They are however seasonal. They start laying iaround Valentines Day and, depending on the strain, will lay until around June.

Back
Top Bottom