Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Actually, non-broody birds are awesome. Also, they're rarely totally non-broody; still, having all one's birds collapse repeatedly into broodiness isn't all it's cracked up to be. Indeed, it decimates egg-production. Truly broody strains go down three times a year, effectively spending most of their time out of lay.

A good combo is a smaller broody meat flock and a bigger non-broody egg flock.

Thoughts on an adequate set-up for a strong breeding program? One often thinks of a great big coop, but a great big coop is much more useful divided into multiple smaller pens capable of housing multiple pairs and trios. Then, it's about having the space to house the growing cockerels and pullets both sufficiently and separately. One can't run a strong breeding which incorporates strong selection principals out of a one room set up; progress will be random, and the genetics will eventually collapse. Cockerels run with pullets will cause stress which retards development.

Breeding good birds is a bit of a dance, and having the right set-up let's you make each move cleanly. Another thought, though, is that breeding good birds is a discipline; it's really a profession. The fact that it's been rendered unprofitable by corporate food doesn't reduce its nobility or precision any more than that which enfolds woodworking, marquetry and all of the other products that arose to their apex of quality during the decades when work of the hand was valued for its intrinsic artistry and skill. That it's now more of a hobby doesn't mean that results can come from a free-for-all. Only the discipline and methods that led to mastery lead to mastery. Between 1850 and 1950 almost every breed of chicken we know today hit its note and pitch. The best were not the simple regurgitation of yearly flock matings. Very frequently they came from pedigreed lines that were known for specialization and in which were frequently spotlighted exceptional specimens that had proven themselves not only in egg laying and breed-appropriate muscling but through the "peer-reviewed" sanctioning that is success at an APA show of repute.

Improving egg production requires intentional pairings, toe-punching, protecting the strain by using multiple cocks, and raising enough to be able to apply effective selection pressure. Before this was understood, the strong breeds for home production could be counted on one hand, and the vast majority of chickens laid under 100 eggs a year.

Quote: Fred, if you are ranting about it, then it must be something especially worth hearing about.
smile.png

I guess I am just old fashion I breed by the APA standard of perfection not a definition of some organization.

People can choose which direction they want to go. That's why one old timers gave me the best advice I ever got. Go Slow, Go Small and go down the middle of the road. I want feather quality on my birds, then type then egg producing using the fit of the fittest principle to select them. That's how you get stuning large fowl and the kind that win Champion Large Fowl at the shows.

I have had enough bunny tails when I started on my Rocks never again. Cant win with them at a show.

But who shows chickens much anymore anyway most people want chickens for private use and for pets.

Will still plug away the old fashion way. Will also have a few bloodies even if I don't want them and will let them set and raise some young for me.

YHF-- does that mean you separate your stock males from females once they are of age to segregate? DO they run in separate free ranging groups??

------------------

I have had a one year old ameraucana rooster in charge of rearing a mixed group of BO and SS since they were about a month old. He is their guardian and protector. THe one young cckl( half AM) that challenged him became an outcast very fast. ( ANd then moved to the crock pot). BUt I've learned, just by happen stance, that the vigilance of a mature rooster can be beneficial to the survival of a young group.

-----------

My SS rooster was in the driveway sort of blocking my way. Not unusual to have freeranging birds in the way, so I moved slowlyanticipating a dart to the edge. NO, he continued down the drive as fast as he could go. I tried to go around him, he went faster. As we approached the end of the picket fence I though t about getting out of the car and shooing him back towar his hens. SO I slowed watching him dart off the road . . . to be with his hens. I find roosters remarkable and worth their weight when free ranging.

This thread is named farming and homesteading with heritage breeds. It seems that the focus has shifted to how to breed and what to breed, NOT homesteading. It seems pretty straight forward that if I was homesteading, I definitely am not going to want to spend a humongous amount of time breeding chickens. Maybe my view is skewed or naive, but as long as chickens do one thing well, and that would be provide food (and possibly feathers) for my family, that's the crux of the issue. And for centuries that is exactly what a chicken's function was. If a hen is not laying eggs or not raising chicks, then it will be dinner. The same goes for a rooster, if he isn't protecting his flock or mating, and he wants to be mean to me, then he is dinner. A true homesteader is looking at ways to provide and sustainability in that regard would be meat and eggs.
Just my two pennies, but I do welcome criticism.
wink.png

Maybe I am naive, but why can't you have both homesteading and good breeding. That is the long history of animal breeding, doing both. Pick your livestock.

Why wouln't I want to select for birds that thrive in the micro - environment of my farm? To raise healthy stock I don't want willy nilly breeding. I want to use the rooster that is wily enough to avoid the coyote and courageous enough to fight off an attack. I want hens that will travel far and wide looking for food. Not the slugs that sit by the feeders.

What is the goal of your birds and how do you meet those goals?

( I've been reading this thread for a while, and breeding was always an important consideration.)

It seems that I forgot to add my thinking on the regards of selection. Obviously, as a homesteader I would choose to breed the best of my flock in relation to good production, good carcass, good intelligence, average broodiness, and ability to forage. I would want a good mix of them all so I would greatly sacrifice the perfect posture, feathering, color, and comb size/type. I would pick my birds based on utility, not aesthetics. And it would have to be communal breeding, not pairings.

Last edited:
"If I were homesteading...."

Perhaps this is just one small difference. I am homesteading. I want high quality, bred to SOP birds. Now, can you select for egg laying? Certainly. Can you select for temperament? I sure do.

Yes, this is a homesteading thread, but clearly it is also labelled, "with heritage poultry". The term heritage has one meaning given it by the ABLC, but theirs isn't the only meaning. The term is freighted with marketing spin and therein lies some of the difficulty. For my own purposes, I largely accept the ALBC definition of what a heritage bird is. But, since they themselves put the requirement of being bred to the SOP, that provides a baseline of common understanding. From there? Great talking points and individual tweaks and applications is part of our freedom as people who can creatively think, work and prosper. My two cents anyhow. Happy Labor Day weekend everyone.

It seems that I forgot to add my thinking on the regards of selection. Obviously, as a homesteader I would choose to breed the best of my flock in relation to good production, good carcass, good intelligence, average broodiness, and ability to forage. I would want a good mix of them all so I would greatly sacrifice the perfect posture, feathering, color, and comb size/type. I would pick my birds based on utility, not aesthetics. And it would have to be communal breeding, not pairings.
Communal breeding will regress your flock, including the traits you're prizing. If you need to keep 50 hens (totally random number) to meat your egg needs, you would want to take your top producing 2-4 (or barring a situation where you can monitor this, the ones with the bodies most conducive to egg production) and use them for breeding pairs or trios, with males that came from your best laying birds the year before, that's how you improve the traits you have. If you communal breed those traits will go down. Maintaining is a fallacy with poultry, you are either progressing and improving or regressing.

This thread is named farming and homesteading with heritage breeds. It seems that the focus has shifted to how to breed and what to breed, NOT homesteading. It seems pretty straight forward that if I was homesteading, I definitely am not going to want to spend a humongous amount of time breeding chickens. Maybe my view is skewed or naive, but as long as chickens do one thing well, and that would be provide food (and possibly feathers) for my family, that's the crux of the issue. And for centuries that is exactly what a chicken's function was. If a hen is not laying eggs or not raising chicks, then it will be dinner. The same goes for a rooster, if he isn't protecting his flock or mating, and he wants to be mean to me, then he is dinner. A true homesteader is looking at ways to provide and sustainability in that regard would be meat and eggs.
Just my two pennies, but I do welcome criticism.
wink.png
Greetings! Using Standard-bred heritage poultry as a basis for traditional food production is a passion of ours. With heritage fowl, there is an entire cycle of food production that fills the calendar with seasonality and surprise, which differs in outstanding fashion from the current hum-drum of same-old same-old that has replaced our traditional food supply since the rise of the chicken nugget.

It would be a pleasure to start a dialogue, in conjuction with the other fine threads in this section dedicated to heritage poultry, about the ins and outs of using Standard-bred poultry on the homestead.

This can be a place to share experience, ask questions, and work out solutions with regards to egg production, meat production, feather harvest, etc., all in relating back to the breeding efforts of an ever evolving homestead flock of heritage fowl and even waterfowl

This is Joseph first post when he started this tread.

I am not a homesteader so I will go back to my tread.

Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom