Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

WEEVILS IN FEED??

What's everyone's opinion on feeding crumble with weevils in it?
I have never had an issue until we had a huge humidity spike here in AZ and discovered all 3 of my feed storage bins (1 chick starter, 1 gamebird breeder, 1 rolled oats) have weevils in them. The bins have lids on them though I doubt they are a tight seal...must have come in on some bag of feed at some point in the last 2-3 weeks. I hate to just throw out $60+ worth of feed...I searched through BYC threads already...don't want to freeze the feed to kill bugs...
My bias is that it may be okay to feed since the feed in the bins is dry with no evidence of mold/spoilage and looks and smells like normal grain should too.
Any advise/experience would be appreciated.
Cindy
Get free wheat from farmer and sometimes has weevils - Been feeding off and on two years . I figure weevils are bugs and bugs= protein . If there are a lot I ferment it and that even makes it more scrumptious LOL

Jeez Bob , you made me hungry for chicken nuggets!!! Dang.

------

On the breeding venue, there are many methods that get discussed and pulled apart and championed. THere are followers of several methods. Rotational makes sense to me as Don Schrider used that for the Buckeyes; "Snow bird" recommends single mating for the BCM because there is a lot of junk and each bird needs to be evaluated; then there are the matings for birds from long lines back to Noah ( just kidding). Each method has it's benefits and it's limits. Room for all IMO. Pick what works for you.

Greetings! Using Standard-bred heritage poultry as a basis for traditional food production is a passion of ours. With heritage fowl, there is an entire cycle of food production that fills the calendar with seasonality and surprise, which differs in outstanding fashion from the current hum-drum of same-old same-old that has replaced our traditional food supply since the rise of the chicken nugget.

It would be a pleasure to start a dialogue, in conjuction with the other fine threads in this section dedicated to heritage poultry, about the ins and outs of using Standard-bred poultry on the homestead.

This can be a place to share experience, ask questions, and work out solutions with regards to egg production, meat production, feather harvest, etc., all in relating back to the breeding efforts of an ever evolving homestead flock of heritage fowl and even waterfowl

This is Joseph first post when he started this tread.

I am not a homesteader so I will go back to my tread.

Have a nice day.

goodpost.gif
highfive.gif

On the breeding venue, there are many methods that get discussed and pulled apart and championed. THere are followers of several methods. Rotational makes sense to me as Don Schrider used that for the Buckeyes; "Snow bird" recommends single mating for the BCM because there is a lot of junk and each bird needs to be evaluated; then there are the matings for birds from long lines back to Noah ( just kidding). Each method has it's benefits and it's limits. Room for all IMO. Pick what works for you.
So my naivety will be exposed again. What is "rotational" breeding? Similar to my hinting of communal breeding?

Quote: Create 3 pens from 3 sources. Let's say pen A, B, C. 3-4 hens and 2 cckl/rooster( heir and a spare) . Rooster from pen A, goes into pen B; pen B rooster into pen C and pen C rooster into penA. Breed these combos. THe offspring are defined by the pen of the mother, ABC. Select the best 3-4 females and 2 males from each pen ABC. THe females stay in the original pen and one rooster is moved to the next pen, A into B, B into C, C into A. Only the males are rotated.

Often a person would work with another breeder if 3 pens cannot be maintained. IMO this system is easier for a beginner as it is more forgiving of mistakes because the inbreeding coefficient rises very slowly.

THe ALBC has a VERY good write up on this method and how the buckeyes were selected for the next breeding cycle. Don Shrieder added 1# body weight by 16 weeks, for example, with this method.

I did look at the prices for the organically grown chicken, all nicely vacuum packed and kept on ice properly. ... THe price was about $8/ pound. ...

At $4 a dozen I have maxed out the market in my area. ANd perhaps the person selling eggs at the farmers market quit because she couldn't get the prices necessary to pay the feed bill and the $240 annual dues to sell at this farmers market.
In our local grocery store, organic chicken also sells for $8/lb and free range or organic eggs are ~ $4/dozen. Can't find any that are both free range and organic. Yes, all our scraps go to the dogs/cats/rabbits or chickens, then rabbit and chicken poop to the compost heap.

I feel them. Handling reveals a lot. Pick up two bird that may appear alike. One feels light and the other may feel like you're picking up a small concrete block. That latter being a good thing.

I also can feel the keel, which is best if it is nice and long and not crooked. Some things have to be felt through handling.

Last edited:
I can't ever get the multi quote button to work so...

~Homesteading flock owners should know how to selectively breed or they will end up with junk and could suffer inbreeding depression if one wants to be "self-sufficient" and not have to go back to a hatchery (or wherever) to continue purchasing chicks. Keeping chickens productive is ongoing WORK and you must understand what traits to look for to be productive. Just because you keep X breed doesn't mean that every chick out of them will have the same type for utility. I certainly hope Mr. Blosl will return because he sure has taught me immensely.

~In regards to weevils in the feed...chicken snacks.
But seriously, Diatomaceous Earth mixed in the feed will take care of the issue to stop pests from devouring your feed. Some feed actually contains it for this very reason including people food. ("anti-caking agent" etc.)

~Good winter layers I have are Javas, Dorkings and Marans. Chantecler and others would be a good winter layer as well but I can't speak from experience.

~Happy Labor Day weekend!

~G

I can't ever get the multi quote button to work so...~Good winter layers I have are Javas, Dorkings and Marans. Chantecler and others would be a good winter layer as well but I can't speak from experience.

~Happy Labor Day weekend!
~G
Noticed you are from CA... have you sold birds to/bought birds from people much further N of you? I think the original person was from NH or so... Latitude makes a big difference in daylight. :)

Back
Top Bottom