Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Wow! There's some pretty vital dialogue going on on this thread. I've been away starting a new teaching job and must admit that I have to turn in; so I shan't address any of the good "hashing it out" questions and queries being posed. Besides, who needs me, BG Matt, Fred, Catdaddy, etc.... have it in the bag. Remember that "Heritage" fowl is synonymous to "standard-bred fowl". The establishment of the APA, the writing of the SOP and the strict adherence thereto for decades between the mid-1800's and mid-1900's are the reason we have the amazing range of fowl to choose from. The Standard for most breeds is written to set the stage for a certain kind/mode of production. With the stage set, then individual birds can be selected that most adequately show the traits needed for the production niche of the breed in question, which, of course, is held within its standard--the best poultrymen of recent history made sure of it.

Here are some photos taken today of our 2013 Dorking pullets. The older pullets are in off of range in order to be studied more close up and in a controlled fashion. The younger pullets are still on range. By Thanksgiving, I'll have my finalists, but the final selection of who will breed will happen in late-January. The pullets will be weighed and checked for signs of strong laying--without lights--then the breeding pens will be put together.

http://truenorthfarm.ca/mistral-gris/

It's iffy on the "heritage"... but has anyone on here raised these?

They are hybrid meat birds, but with a slower grow out and more suitable to free range than the Cornish Cross. I have only seen Red Rangers or Freedom Rangers, which are red. Interesting that they have created one based on a BR. Even though I am looking for a true dual purpose bird that has good meat qualities, I am sure that I will run a batch of meat birds in the fall. Not this year, but probably next year.

Mark

http://truenorthfarm.ca/mistral-gris/

It's iffy on the "heritage"... but has anyone on here raised these?
HMM ! Based on this statement on the website "They grow too large to be good breeders themselves, but it is possible to cross with other heritage breeds to inject better growth rates and carcass quality."
I would say they are still a Frankenchicken variety . IMHO

Right. But I know of several people who have successfully free ranged their franken CX (no broken legs, way past 9wks with no heart issues)... but those are big-business sales. I have a small lot, and have considered CX, but if there's a smaller business source for a similar thing, well, might be worth a 2nd peek. Esp if someone here has ever tried them. :) Even better, if I can <shocked gasps heard> put my HRIR cock over one of the hens and get a mix that's not quite as quick to grow, but bigger than the HRIR male culls, that'd be nice. I know lots of people here looking to small scale reproduce "cornish crosses" but best I've seen is dressing out about 17wks. Which is good, but shorter turns make for less damage to the range grounds. Just my logic. These guys are at least willing to entertain the idea of people breeding their stock, whereas it's discouraged by the CX developers. I like Open Source stuff :)

Ah, found an old thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/683888/mistral-gris-meat-birds/20

Anything developed by the Amish ain't no Frankenchicken :) IMHO
big_smile.png

Going to look into this a little more.

Icahill-- THis yr I raised up a number of chicks from a pen of 6 hens and 1 rooster. THe hens are from 3 sources. Collected eggs and hatched them. Now I'm evaluating them. Not much uniformity and some are easily headed for the freezer. My point is, if I kept all these for breeding I would have worse junk than the original 7 birds. Hard to make progress when most of the birds are not up to par. Which is why these breeds took decades to create. Progress is slow.

THere are several good breeds/ lines that are kept as useful farmstead birds. Do your homework and buy the best birds that you can afford. IT will put you lightyears ahead.

Mr Reese had his stock available this year as I remember.

ANd Josephs dorkings are looking great, too!!

There are others here as well.

Back
Top Bottom