Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Quote:
My understanding is the Frank Reese is a phenominal chicken and turkey breeder. Robert BLosl posted his hatching egg information last spring. THe first time apparently that MR Reese has made is stock publicly available in such a manner.

He breeds for profit using heritage breeds. THe one chicken that I remember was the NewHampsire and he clearly stated that this was not SOP presumabalbly as he bred it for meat qualities.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it was Frank Reese, that's just the name that came to mind. I also realized it wasn't on this thread but on the Heritage Large Fowl thread.

You are right -- Mr Blosl posted it on the Heritage Large Fowl thread. I almost ordered some NH, but as combs are an issue here, I thought better of it. We are on the north side of a hill, with a river at the base. THe air rolls uphill from the river as it warms, and down hill as it cools.

Mine was feed store stuff, too. I tried it once with just soaking, and mold everywhere. Thus the bleach soak. It took FOREVER to sprout, but it did, and no mold... Could also be a 'part of the country' thing? Where I live, you sneeze, and it gets moldy. LOL. Had a boss that would drink lots of coffee, but would always leave a pot on the counter over the weekend. Never failed, by Mon AM, whole thing would have Penicillium colonies over an inch across floating on the surface. Even though I didn't drink coffee, was my job to clean. Started pouring it out on Friday afternoon. Can't keep breads, etc. at room temp here either. 2days, tops before it molds. No more than a week or so in the refridgerator even.
I don't bleach treat our seeds for people sprouting, hasn't ever been a need. Never eaten oat sprouts, though.

HI Aleta,

Sounds like mold likes your climate...how many times do you rise per day? That makes a large difference here anyway. I rinse 3-4 times a day. I stick my hand down to the bottom and mix (you can feel the heat beginning to generate at the bottom) Bucket is near the front door so it's easy... every time I go outside, I spray it with the hose in a 5 gallon bucket with drainage at the bottom.
cool.png

HI Aleta,
Sounds like mold likes your climate...how many times do you rise per day? That makes a large difference here anyway. I rinse 3-4 times a day. I stick my hand down to the bottom and mix (you can feel the heat beginning to generate at the bottom) Bucket is near the front door so it's easy... every time I go outside, I spray it with the hose in a 5 gallon bucket with drainage at the bottom.
cool.png
Er. Usually once. Twice if I get a nap.
lau.gif
Sorry. Rinse, how many times do I rinse the seed per day... When I started the experiment with the oats, was just doing morning and evening. And weren't no 5 gal bucket... that's too much commitment when I don't know if'n it'll work. You southern exposure types are all the same... rubbin' it in with those sunglasses. Of course, I like green, and I lived in San Diego for 7 yrs as a kid. Ick. Not for me. The Santa Ana winds put me in the hospital ever year like clockwork with asthma attacks.

Will try more rinsing... but not sure if I'll remember. Then WHAM, mold.

While I largely agree with the main point this author is making, the article does a lot to further a bit of misinformation. Cornish Cross are not "genetically modified" or "genetically engineered." They are hybrids. They have in no way been subjected to Dr. Frankenstien type science projects. They're chickens. They've been crossed and developed and hybridized via rooster and hen doing their thing, albeit each hen and rooster is selected to match up.

A "genetically engineered" organism has had their very genes messed with in a lab. Genetically Modified Organisms have had genes from other species (like say a fish gene spliced into a plant - yes this is what Monsanto does) introduced in a lab. They use viruses to accomplish this because only a virus can attack the very gene structure and introduce a new gene w/out killing the host. This is in no way "just like what humans have done forever" by crossing individuals of the same species.

Cornish cross are not. And I mean NOT. Genetically modified. But they are just a sickening mess as far as I'm concerned. I raised them before and I'll not again. Mine were fine, healthy, no horrible stories here but they're just sad. Only like a couple months and off to the freezer.

Last edited:
Er. Usually once. Twice if I get a nap.
lau.gif
Sorry. Rinse, how many times do I rinse the seed per day... When I started the experiment with the oats, was just doing morning and evening. And weren't no 5 gal bucket... that's too much commitment when I don't know if'n it'll work. You southern exposure types are all the same... rubbin' it in with those sunglasses. Of course, I like green, and I lived in San Diego for 7 yrs as a kid. Ick. Not for me. The Santa Ana winds put me in the hospital ever year like clockwork with asthma attacks.

Will try more rinsing... but not sure if I'll remember. Then WHAM, mold.

Galanie:
Yes, I agree...the term hybrid not GMO is a big difference. When I read, I "eat the meat and spit out the bones" so to speak. He has an interesting perspective because he worked in the commercial poultry industry and has artificially inseminated thousands of turkeys etc. I had never seen the leg problems like the photo but if I ever was around a massive scene like that daily, I might want to expose it as it's a bit disheartening. IMO At least my birds get to run around and eat bugs.

Back
Top Bottom