Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I may not get this right, but it has to do with creating a sufficient air pocket/cushion within the coop, which would minimize the extent that the wind could reach the back wall. YOu should still orient the open front to the south or east or away from where your worst winds are at your location. He says the wind won't blow into the coop. I have a forest on my south side which provides a natural wind break, so mine may not be a good test, but I am going to keep my eye on it this winter. Another key is to have offsets in your construction to allow ventilation but not a direct draft straight through the structure. Anyway, if a little wind gets into your coop occassionally, I think they should be smart enough to turn their backs to it.

THank you for the explaination.

It makes sense sort of. THe birds might be protected from the brunt of the winds and still have some ventilation because the birds themselves heat up the air around them and create air movement, as in warm air rises. If it has no where to go, as in no open vent, it will cool and fall down again. I can see value in having some venting up highperhaps not directly over the roosts but perhaps have a window at the top be slidableto control venting. Or perhaps like in my own house all the windows are not perfectly tight and air flow happens anyways.

I had located several areas of high ground. ( Fortunately I do know where the wet areas are, and where the run off goes and can avoid those areas.) We have chosen a very flat area and it will have trees on the south side. Not ideal-- none of the sights were ideal. THis area alloed for a larger structure without a floor.

This is a rat, not a mouse. This is the one I post when people talk about a vegetarian diet for chickens.

Walt

Quite the hunter!
I am always surprised when I see the organic cage free eggs in the grocery store advertising vegetarian feed diet. They make the prices crazy high and the general public thinks the chickens are healthier and have better lives. Chickens aren't vegetarian!

Quite the hunter!
I am always surprised when I see the organic cage free eggs in the grocery store advertising vegetarian feed diet. They make the prices crazy high and the general public thinks the chickens are healthier and have better lives. Chickens aren't vegetarian!

Chickens vegetarians, HA! My Buckeyes will eat anything that moves: snake, bug, lizard, frog, mouse, if it moves, they chase it down and eat it.

if you where going to get a breed to be a homesteader what breed of Heritage type birds would you purchase. This would be my number one choice
Barred Rocks from Jamie Duckworth in North Carolina.

if you where going to get a breed to be a homesteader what breed of Heritage type birds would you purchase. This would be my number one choice
Barred Rocks from Jamie Duckworth in North Carolina.

Why Rocks? Why Barred over White? Or is it this particular strain of Rock blood you'd be after?

Is there a difference in growth rates of one breed of rock over another? Egg laying capabilities?

Curiously,
Coley

Back
Top Bottom