Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

It wouldn't be a deal breaker in the least, neither would straying from my color preference-which is absolutely the least of my concerns. I am concerned only with type and characteristics for the immediate future, truth be told. There are plenty of red birds in the world but not all will suit my needs :)

How exciting :)

M
Yellow House has some nice ones. JWhip on here has them. Both are good people, and would probably be a big help getting started. Then in four or five years, if you decided you need a new bird . . .They would likely have the same to access. They are certainly unique, and not many people have them. Fascinating history to.

Thank you, pigsflyacres, I will contact BGMatt, and order some kelp. I already ferment my feed, so it is pretty full of probiotics.

Yeah, if I can't find some birds that nick, or get better hatch rates in one or 2 seasons, I will look at bringing in cock birds of other colors. I believe Joseph of Yellow House did the same (crossed varieties then hatched and culled many, many birds) to get his whites into such good shape.

I appreciate the suggestions,
Angela

Last edited:
Thank you, pigsflyacres, I will contact BGMatt, and order some kelp. I already ferment my feed, so it is pretty full of probiotics.

Yeah, if I can't find some birds that nick, or get better hatch rates in one or 2 seasons, I will look at bringing in cock birds of other colors. I believe Joseph of Yellow House did the same (crossed varieties then hatched and culled many, many birds) to get his whites into such good shape.

I appreciate the suggestions,
Angela

Its easy to use SG when breeding for Red. Harder to use Red when breeding SG. I keep meaning to talk to Craig Russell and the time difference gets in the way. Mostly I think its getting good specimens to use. That is hard for any variety. YHF looks like he's done really well with his whites.

We certainly have our work cut out for us if we want to breed typey Dorkings, but I think it can be done without going to Europe to do it. But maybe I'm just an optimistic fool. Mostly we need something that has type and breeders committed to the breed. That's hard to overcome.

Jennifer

Its easy to use SG when breeding for Red. Harder to use Red when breeding SG. I keep meaning to talk to Craig Russell and the time difference gets in the way. Mostly I think its getting good specimens to use. That is hard for any variety. YHF looks like he's done really well with his whites.

We certainly have our work cut out for us if we want to breed typey Dorkings, but I think it can be done without going to Europe to do it. But maybe I'm just an optimistic fool. Mostly we need something that has type and breeders committed to the breed. That's hard to overcome.

Jennifer

I think that is perfectly realistic to think that you can do it right here with what is here.

It takes just what you said, commitment. And numbers do not hurt.

I have thought that the breed would benefit from an import, but it isn't a necessity.

Is YHs whites recessive or dominant?

SInce he has mentioned multiple color variations continuing to crop up for several generations in his whites, I would guess the white is dominant. (If white was recessive, then 2 whites should not produce ANY colored offspring.)
Angela

Well, I do not know what the solutions are. I can relate on some level though. I picked up on a project that has little in the way of options. Fortunately the fertility and hatchability is high. There is no shortage of other problems though. That is in part the appeal.

Like yourself, I really like them. I think they are worth the effort.

Maybe I will be successful with them, and maybe I will not. Others will judge in time. In the mean time, I will enjoy them and the challenge.

In the case of the SG Dorking, it may not be necessary to be good quality, just new blood. Perhaps from a purely conservation point, we should be doing more intentional flock breeding. A couple good cocks with 7 or 8 complimentary hens irregardless of color. It could be a side project or the pair matings could be a side project. With out vigor you have nothing.

I think that I did this, unintentionally, back in 2009. The Sand Hill Dorkings that I introduced to my flock at that time produced all kinds of colors. I'm hoping that I've finally got that sorted out. I won't cross varieties again.
I have, over the years, combined SGDs from at least five different sources. Yet, the hatchability issues remain. So fresh blood did not help. I am looking into getting one particular line, that I'm hoping will help.

I thought that diet may be the cause. I've tried different feeds. I'm feeding a breeder ration this year and hatching two breeds. The hatch rate on the Delawares is 3 times higher than the Dorkings. So I rule out diet as the problem, or else the Delawares would also be suffering. Unless the Dorkings have some dietary need unique to the breed.

I started pedigree mating last year and keeping detailed records. I only kept the very best producing hens and the offspring from them that were closest to type. I expected better results this year, but am having both fertility and hatching problems. I am still seeing strengths in individual hens.

The chicks that hatch are very vigorous. I don't use medicated feed or immunize or baby them. If they manage to hatch, they do great.

Hoping that the strong culling & record keeping will eventually result in better hatchability.

I always hate to hear such negative banter about the Silvers. There are some breeders who have been working with them and one in particular has been doing quite well in shows this past year. For the person who wants Reds, get Reds if that's what you desire. There are nice ones out there.

I think that I did this, unintentionally, back in 2009. The Sand Hill Dorkings that I introduced to my flock at that time produced all kinds of colors. I'm hoping that I've finally got that sorted out. I won't cross varieties again.
I have, over the years, combined SGDs from at least five different sources. Yet, the hatchability issues remain. So fresh blood did not help. I am looking into getting one particular line, that I'm hoping will help.

I thought that diet may be the cause. I've tried different feeds. I'm feeding a breeder ration this year and hatching two breeds. The hatch rate on the Delawares is 3 times higher than the Dorkings. So I rule out diet as the problem, or else the Delawares would also be suffering. Unless the Dorkings have some dietary need unique to the breed.

I started pedigree mating last year and keeping detailed records. I only kept the very best producing hens and the offspring from them that were closest to type. I expected better results this year, but am having both fertility and hatching problems. I am still seeing strengths in individual hens.

The chicks that hatch are very vigorous. I don't use medicated feed or immunize or baby them. If they manage to hatch, they do great.

Hoping that the strong culling & record keeping will eventually result in better hatchability.

I always hate to hear such negative banter about the Silvers. There are some breeders who have been working with them and one in particular has been doing quite well in shows this past year. For the person who wants Reds, get Reds if that's what you desire. There are nice ones out there.

So your eggs are fertile? The ones that don't hatch, do you open the egg to see what stage of development they were at when they died? I just wonder if its always the same stage or if it varies. Do they make it all the way to day 21 and just don't hatch?

So your eggs are fertile?  The ones that don't hatch, do you open the egg to see what stage of development they were at when they died?  I just wonder if its always the same stage or if it varies.  Do they make it all the way to day 21 and just don't hatch?

My eggs are very fertile, but not hatching. As I have tinkered with incubation and storage parameters, hatch ability has improved to ~60% at best. Early in the season I had quitters at all ages, now they die between day 19 and pipping. Big buzzkill. Out of 72 eggs 70 have been fertile, and I have 14 healthy chicks.

Back
Top Bottom