Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I saw my first real cock fight this morning. Not good. A real eye opener. It was between a 2 year old Kraienkoppe with spurs and a 11 month old BR, basically w/out spurs. The BR is at least twice the size of the koppe and was probably loosing. He was getting winded and I was petrified that the koppe would sink in a spur. It came from nowhere. They were getting along just fine. The koppe was dominant, but was really low key and letting the BR mate with almost no interference. I actually thought they might be able to co-exist in the same flock, since they are so different and mate different females, but today the BR decided that it was his day and the little koppe was having nothing to do with that. Neither one was backing down. Thankfully, I was there and because they were fighting, I was able to walk up to the Koppe and grab him and then put him down. But if my favorite BR is dead in the morning I will have no one to blame but myself. So, in order to try and make this thread relevant, for the new folks who have limited facilities, don't try and do too much, keep it simple and focus on what is most important. I had a variety of reasons of why I still wanted to breed the koppes, none of which were really all that important.

[quote name="Fentress" url="/t/447684/farming-and-homesteading-heritage-poultry/2730#post_15134792"...for the new folks who have limited facilities, don't try and do too much, keep it simple and focus on what is most important. I had a variety of reasons of why I still wanted to breed the koppes, none of which were really all that important.
[/quote]

I, too, am plagued by distractions; namely wanting a multicolored egg harvest. Hence the Dorking, Marans and Easter egger hens taking up space I could be filling with Wyandottes. Also bantam Cochin pullets (for future broody hens) in a grow out tractor. And I was thinking about a trio of Ameracaunas. Thanks for reminding me to focus and keep it simple.

On a positive note, I have joined the APA and the local Brazos Valley Poultry Club. Also, this year's Wyandottes are hatching and growing like weeds which is a much more rewarding experience than last years's Dorking hatches.

Best wishes,
Angela

I can speak for myself saying that there is nothing like a commitment to a particular breed to help resist the many temptations. I do have limitations, and those limits limit me.

If I had no limitations in space, resources, labor, and time . . . then there would be no limits to what I would commit to. I do have limitations, and so those limitations limit me. LOL.

I cannot afford distractions though they are always tempting.

Some can. Some do, and cannot. I just can't.

Same here. Once I found a breed that I found to be reliable and consistent I was no longer really tempted to look elsewhere. It's almost like finding your husband...after that you just stop looking. Pretty fellas may walk by and you can look and appreciate it's a pretty fella, but what you have at home is so good that you know other birds just can't even measure up. That's what it's like for me to have my favorite breed and it makes it easy to resist temptation elsewhere. If you have everything you need in a breed, why look any further?

Same here. Once I found a breed that I found to be reliable and consistent I was no longer really tempted to look elsewhere. It's almost like finding your husband...after that you just stop looking. Pretty fellas may walk by and you can look and appreciate it's a pretty fella, but what you have at home is so good that you know other birds just can't even measure up. That's what it's like for me to have my favorite breed and it makes it easy to resist temptation elsewhere. If you have everything you need in a breed, why look any further?

Its the age old question Bee. And I guess its just because different is out there. Even though that doesn't make them better.
I guess thats why people change spouses too. And the new may be better or worse.
But its easier to change chickens.

Ain't that the truth! And, for some, I'm sure they are still in their dating period of chicken life...sampling what is out there to find their perfect match. After you've done that a lot, you finally get an idea of what you don't like and what you do like and what you really want to have that will make you the most content. And sometimes needs and wants change when you age....and with chickens it's not a lifelong commitment.

For some...for others, we just get settled in and fall in love over and over each day with our chosen breed. Much like a good marriage, you need to fall in love over and over, but with the same person, if it's really going to last.

That's why you'll find some old guys~and gals~out there who have raised the same breed for 40-50 yrs. Oh, they might have a few other breeds in their flock for color or for eggs and not for real breeding, but their favorite has been their love for all those years.

Last edited:
lau.gif
I don't know....seems pretty much like how my marriage went, though I didn't get the pleasure of chopping off his head for real....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom