Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Apparently, processing day has arrived... LOTS easier than processing chickens!

I hope the birds like their dinner!

MOUSE BURGERS! Let the saliva FLOW!

Anybody sick yet?
sickbyc.gif

I mixed them in with some regular feed, a bit of garlic and some yogurt. They won't get this mix straight, it will be blended with their regular fermented feed and probably some soaked alfalfa!

YUMMY! NOT!
sickbyc.gif

Ron, you misunderstood my point. My point was that the rodent in question is not a Rattus norvegicus, which is the species for all of the common names that you mentioned. The rodent is a Neotoa lepida. An entirely different animal, and California has more rats than the Kangaroo rats ( Dipodomys sp.). I know how common names work. They vary regionally, and from person to person. In the east we have the pilot black snake, rat snake, great oak snake, chicken snake etc. etc. All of which is Elaphe obsoleta etc. No common name is "correct", and they are all correct. The Latin name clears up the confusion, is the standard, and more specific. LOL. [/quote The black snakes I call good snake and the ones here with copper rings I call dead snakes I have actually seen a black snake constrict a copperhead and eat it so I call them friend
1f604.png
Apparently, processing day has arrived... LOTS easier than processing chickens! I hope the birds like their dinner! MOUSE BURGERS! Let the saliva FLOW! Anybody sick yet? :sick I mixed them in with some regular feed, a bit of garlic and some yogurt. They won't get this mix straight, it will be blended with their regular fermented feed and probably some soaked alfalfa! YUMMY! NOT! :sick
you are correct but there is ine comman name not mentioned> field rat< but your are still correct.

Apparently, processing day has arrived... LOTS easier than processing chickens!

I hope the birds like their dinner!

MOUSE BURGERS! Let the saliva FLOW!

Anybody sick yet?
sickbyc.gif

I mixed them in with some regular feed, a bit of garlic and some yogurt. They won't get this mix straight, it will be blended with their regular fermented feed and probably some soaked alfalfa!

YUMMY! NOT!
sickbyc.gif

this is not a criticism, I just wondered why you worked this hard instead of feeding the birds "rat tartare." ? Mine seem greatly entertained by playing tug-of-war with snakes/lizards/table scraps.
Angela

I do when I have fresh mice. Usually, or at least most of these mice, were gotten after dark with a flashlight and bb gun. Birds were on the roost and I don't trust my memory, or my cats, to hold onto them until morning to hand them out. Besides, this way, every bird gets some.

They do love to play chase and tug of war with them and it's enjoyable to watch but summer is upon us now and its just way too hot for that kind of physical exertion. They do play with them but I have found mangled, uneaten mice in some yards. My cats do the same thing. In fact, when the cats catch one, I have to catch the cats and kill the mouse and give it back or they'll lose it somewhere in the house... dumb cats!

Ron, you misunderstood my point. My point was that the rodent in question is not a Rattus norvegicus, which is the species for all of the common names that you mentioned. The rodent is a Neotoa lepida. An entirely different animal, and California has more rats than the Kangaroo rats ( Dipodomys sp.).

I know how common names work. They vary regionally, and from person to person. In the east we have the pilot black snake, rat snake, great oak snake, chicken snake etc. etc. All of which is Elaphe obsoleta etc. No common name is "correct", and they are all correct. The Latin name clears up the confusion, is the standard, and more specific. LOL.

Thanks George!

I was trying to have some fun with the topic.

I hope it was amusing, even if misguided.
cool.png

this is not a criticism, I just wondered why you worked this hard instead of feeding the birds "rat tartare." ? Mine seem greatly entertained by playing tug-of-war with snakes/lizards/table scraps.
Angela
As I was closing up just now, it dawned on me that perhaps you thought I had cooked them?

No no no.

Raw, all the way!

Don't tell my daughter that I used my blender... even if I was to sterilize the thing now, she would never lay hands on it again!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom