Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I've used cooler-bators (I didn't make), and box-u-bators (I made myself). The boxes worked best, oddly enough. I'd be willing to try building a freezer incubator with the right parts. This is very encouraging!

Can't take credit for idea as I used information from BYC member @wekiva bird .
Used kit from http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incukit-xl.html
a lot of accessory parts came from Wally world.
It was a fun project the biggest problem for me was finding a defunct freezer out in the country.
I actually bought a working one on craigs list for $50 - when not hatching I could use it to freeze culls
gig.gif
but I haven't .

I'll need to take a close look at this method, it has the advantage of having a separate hatcher. I was going to get a cabinet bator with a hatching tray on the bottom, but you do have to raise humidity during lockdown, which might effect the eggs that are still incubating. 3 hovabators might cost more than the Dickies or Sportsman bators I was looking at?

I'll need to take a close look at this method, it has the advantage of having a separate hatcher. I was going to get a cabinet bator with a hatching tray on the bottom, but you do have to raise humidity during lockdown, which might effect the eggs that are still incubating. 3 hovabators might cost more than the Dickies or Sportsman bators I was looking at?
You can get a dickies incubator that does not have a hatching tray. Then you use a hovabator(you can use the cheap one from TSC (tractor supply Co.) as a hatcher.

Last edited:
Can't take credit for idea as I used information from BYC member @wekiva bird .
Used kit from http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incukit-xl.html
a lot of accessory parts came from Wally world.
It was a fun project the biggest problem for me was finding a defunct freezer out in the country.
I actually bought a working one on craigs list for $50 - when not hatching I could use it to freeze culls
gig.gif
but I haven't .
goodpost.gif

Thanks for the links!
I admire that: Credit where credit is due. =)
I live in the country, I'm shocked you couldn't find one that didn't work. lol
That's genius; just b/c of that idea, I'm going to use a working freezer so I can do exactly that!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I move them to the low shelf where the water pan is to raise humidity at lockdown- seems to work .
We have two of the temperature humidity probes in it . One up on top turner and one down low. They are indoor outdoor thermometers from Amazon. There is a plastic rectangle tub in bottom with a pant leg hanging in it and a fan blowing on it. on it - the more water and wicking material the more humidity.
Its a fun project

goodpost.gif

Thanks for the links!
I admire that: Credit where credit is due. =)
I live in the country, I'm shocked you couldn't find one that didn't work. lol
That's genius; just b/c of that idea, I'm going to use a working freezer so I can do exactly that!!!!
thumbsup.gif

That would be a hatcher/culler- you need to eat them up fast before next hatching season - Gee if we could figure some way to gat it to pluck it would be the miracle
back yard chicken raising machine.

I found them on Amazon.com at very reasonable prices including the turners...about $125
You could start with two and get a third later....
I do dry incubation and increase humidity in the hatcher to 60%.

That would be a hatcher/culler- you need to eat them up fast before next hatching season - Gee if we could figure some way to gat it to pluck it would be the miracle
back yard chicken raising machine.
Yup. Emptying a freezer full of chickens wouldn't be a chore for our family.
Oh, you are a genius!!!!!

I do fine with an incubator/hatcher combo. I mist the eggs and the bottom tray lightly once a day for a few days. I get great hatches. If I hatch three batches in a row, the incubator is cleaned and disinfected before the next batch though.

ETA: if you are not hatching more than 40 at a time, the large incubators are not worth the money. Their advantage is qty. and setting (and hatching) in succession.

Last edited:
Thanks. Mr. Dickey, also mentioned misting the eggs in the hatcher. I do want to hatch in succession. I like the idea of having a good size group of similar age, it should help during grow out and minimize the demand on coop space. The low end dickies is not that expensive if I don't get the digital thermometer/readouts. Can you manage the temp OK with the plain old fashioned thermometer? Hard to believe I am thinking about this, just learned how to manage broodies and now I'm going to take on something new?

Back
Top Bottom