Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

We won't get into it. You can believe what you wish about those who gather information about who farms what out there and I can believe what I believe about it. It's much too long of a discussion to get into on a chicken forum. It's enough to say I don't advocate it at all.

Out in the barn yesterday evening filling feeders when in walks a Delaware Bantam hen...wings hanging low, puffed up twice her size from the tip if her comb to the end of her tail...she actually looked like a little white beach ball!
My first thought was "Where is your nest?" I watched her nibble feed and get a drink. She knew I was watching so she strutted around the barn trying to sneak out when I wasn't watching.
In a bit she slipped outside, nibbled some grass and when she thought I wasn't paying attention, she slipped into a big tuft of grass by hubby's metal pile just outside the barn door.
The little vixen had a clutch of five eggs in her nest....couldn't let her brood outside so she is now in a spacious cage in the brooder room.

And while I'm in the brooder room, I look up at a wall cage where I keep small flat boxes to go in the cages for the Bantams. The top of the cage is about 7 feet off the floor. Peeking out at me from one of those boxes is a set of black eyes with a bright red comb. Pancaked in that box is a Black Birchen OEGB hen. I reach up and slip the box down to find she is sitting tight on 7 eggs. She goes box and all into a broody cage too. When she got off her box to eat and get a drink, I slid a handful of timothy hay under her eggs for a little padding.

You got to love broody Bantams!

Out in the barn yesterday evening filling feeders when in walks a Delaware Bantam hen...wings hanging low, puffed up twice her size from the tip if her comb to the end of her tail...she actually looked like a little white beach ball!
My first thought was "Where is your nest?" I watched her nibble feed and get a drink. She knew I was watching so she strutted around the barn trying to sneak out when I wasn't watching.
In a bit she slipped outside, nibbled some grass and when she thought I wasn't paying attention, she slipped into a big tuft of grass by hubby's metal pile just outside the barn door.
The little vixen had a clutch of five eggs in her nest....couldn't let her brood outside so she is now in a spacious cage in the brooder room.

And while I'm in the brooder room, I look up at a wall cage where I keep small flat boxes to go in the cages for the Bantams. The top of the cage is about 7 feet off the floor. Peeking out at me from one of those boxes is a set of black eyes with a bright red comb. Pancaked in that box is a Black Birchen OEGB hen. I reach up and slip the box down to find she is sitting tight on 7 eggs. She goes box and all into a broody cage too. When she got off her box to eat and get a drink, I slid a handful of timothy hay under her eggs for a little padding.

You got to love broody Bantams!
I got three Kraienkoppes who are just as broody as they can be and I know some of them raised a brood this spring. The breeding pens are down, but if I knew my BR's eggs a little better I would be tempted to set them up. I am looking forward to getting the flock off of Flock Raiser crumbles, it makes such a big mess. If I provided chick feed and the chicks ate layer from the adult feeder, exactly how bad would that be. Not too worried about the possible lack of protein, but I have heard that the minerals in layer is not good for the development of young birds.

Thanks.

The ALBC does not have any conspiracy theory type motivations. I doubt the effectiveness of what they do concerning poultry, however. Once Don stopped working with them concerning poultry, they seamed to have lost their way. Philosophically, I have had concerns, but they have meant well enough.

I prefer the SPPA, where I need to renew my membership. They have a more poultry centered focus.

The layer would have too much calcium etc. for chicks. If you can exclude them from the layer, they will do better. There are pelleted rations that would do well for this, once the chicks were large enough of course.
Where did you get your Kraiennekoppes from?

I got the Koppes from Sandhill Preservation Center. Ideal also has some. They are nice little birds. Two years ago I figured they would be a less aggressive alternative to OEG to use as broodies. A hen will easily cover 8 of my BR eggs. I would consider breeding them but their eggs are just a little too small. I have heard of lines that have larger eggs, maybe Ideal. Boy, can they fly! But, they respect the fence at least as well as the other birds even though it would mean nothing to them if they wanted to get over it.

I have a couple 5+ months old Dark Cornish pullets that are trying to go broody and I'm almost certain they haven't laid their first egg, unless they have managed to squirt some out in the weeds. We've looked all over but haven't found the first likely nesting area...but these DCs can get to places, high and low without a problem.

This is the last thing I want or need this time of year. I've got far more DC pullets than I really need so they had better watch their steps....even at this age, the 'gots mighty nice breastes' and would make a fine meal for one person......But then, I'd be flogged near to my death by the 'hen' who lives in my house. She wouldn't look kindly upon Dad eating her precious gals.
lau.gif

The ALBC does not have any conspiracy theory type motivations. I doubt the effectiveness of what they do concerning poultry, however. Once Don stopped working with them concerning poultry, they seamed to have lost their way. Philosophically, I have had concerns, but they have meant well enough.

I prefer the SPPA, where I need to renew my membership. They have a more poultry centered focus.

The layer would have too much calcium etc. for chicks. If you can exclude them from the layer, they will do better. There are pelleted rations that would do well for this, once the chicks were large enough of course.
Where did you get your Kraiennekoppes from?

You know I checked on the SPPA before and just now I checked - doesnt seem like much activity there - last blog was 2013 - maybe I got the wrong one or something.
Is this it ? http://sppa.webs.com

Back
Top Bottom