Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

You know I checked on the SPPA before and just now I checked - doesnt seem like much activity there - last blog was 2013 - maybe I got the wrong one or something.
Is this it ? http://sppa.webs.com

I was going to ask. This web page has some info about an organization called SPPA, with a link. But the link is to a 404-file not found error.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/resources.html

The woman who interviewed me for the article on Delawares that was published in Backyard Poultry magazine, she is involved with the SPPA. Maybe she can link us to the current website, if there is one currently.

You know I checked on the SPPA before and just now I checked - doesnt seem like much activity there - last blog was 2013 - maybe I got the wrong one or something.
Is this it ? http://sppa.webs.com

You have it right. They never really had an online presence. There is some talk about a Facebook group, or something of the sort.

They still have the newsletters (that I like) etc.

They could use some contributors to liven it up. I should try somehow. I like their core group. A more solid group than many others.

You have it right. They never really had an online presence. There is some talk about a Facebook group, or something of the sort.

They still have the newsletters (that I like) etc.

They could use some contributors to liven it up. I should try somehow. I like their core group. A more solid group than many others.

Yes I saw their member list and I know some of them as good breeders.but it said last new member was 2013 - maybe they moved everything to Facebook /
Story of my life - everything is moving to Facebook except me - sigh
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Out in the barn yesterday evening filling feeders ....You got to love broody Bantams!

I got three Kraienkoppes who are just as broody as they can be and I know some of them raised a brood this spring. The breeding pens are down, but if I knew my BR's eggs a little better I would be tempted to set them up. I am looking forward to getting the flock off of Flock Raiser crumbles, it makes such a big mess. If I provided chick feed and the chicks ate layer from the adult feeder, exactly how bad would that be. Not too worried about the possible lack of protein, but I have heard that the minerals in layer is not good for the development of young birds.

Thanks.

Like GJensen said...layer pellets have higher calcium...not good for chicks.

I provide medicated broiler starter for the juvenile birds that free range. And I provide layer pellets for all adult birds. Both feeders are available on all pens and for all free ranging birds. Juveniles eat from both feeders as do the adults.
I keep an eye on the juveniles and give them fruit, greens and an occasional fish.
My broody hens are not penned. They are allowed to take their chicks out to forage when and where they choose. They always take their brood to the feeders with the medicated broiler feed in the evening before going to bed them down.

Last edited:
Thanks. That is how I keep my chickens. When they are just hatched, I will use a creep feeder to exclude adults, so the chicks can a space to themselves, especially important if the mother is not a dominant hen and does not carve out space around a feeder for her brood. Providing oyster shell works great, the hens eat it no problem, I'm just ready to get the flock back on layer pellets. Thanks again.

Yes I saw their member list and I know some of them as good breeders.but it said last new member was 2013 - maybe they moved everything to Facebook /
Story of my life - everything is moving to Facebook except me - sigh
barnie.gif

No. They started the website to start an online presence. They were not successful at maintaining it. Much of that I that was the core group is not one that will frequent the internet in a way that would maintain and moderate that type of presence. There are other things involved, and some of this is opinion.

The more mature and established breeders do not frequent the internet. Some do. More do not.

I have appreciated that there main effort was not related to the internet. Much of what happen here and other place is just chatter, and fluff. It is more about perception than any other thing. Some of us desire an audience. That said, times have changed. An internet presence is almost necessary. No one licks stamps anymore. I do prefer a printed newsletter and breeders book though.

No. They started the website to start an online presence. They were not successful at maintaining it. Much of that I that was the core group is not one that will frequent the internet in a way that would maintain and moderate that type of presence. There are other things involved, and some of this is opinion.

The more mature and established breeders do not frequent the internet. Some do. More do not.

I have appreciated that there main effort was not related to the internet. Much of what happen here and other place is just chatter, and fluff. It is more about perception than any other thing. Some of us desire an audience. That said, times have changed. An internet presence is almost necessary. No one licks stamps anymore. I do prefer a printed newsletter and breeders book though.

It's hard to find informed and rational discussion about breeding poultry that aren't also over my head. Facebook comes with everyone's jokes & politics (if you want to talk one-on-one with them), and much of the time that's a real turn-off for me. There can also be serious moderation issues at Facebook. Here there are limits about how serious the conversation can be, and if you don't stumble on one of the few productive threads, and aren't vigilant at filtering out the nonsense yourself, you're kind of out of luck getting to the facts. Other places don't really get a lot of traffic.

Not all of us can get to shows, which "they" say, are where the real conversations happen.

I've seen a couple pretty good videos on YouTube that answer a lot of the basic questions. There could be more of that stuff available. It just means hooking people with the camera/internet connection up with the "mature and established breeders" who do not frequent the Internet. I've seen some materials from breed-specific clubs that are brilliant for addressing breeding concerns for specific breeds -- not my breed, of course, but still useful if you can extrapolate; those materials aren't free or easy to produce.

I had a breeder/judge consultant up to my coop this past weekend for a team meeting and hands-on "master class." That was an amazing experience. The stuff I've read here and elsewhere, plus all the stuff my breeding mentor/partner has told me, lots of that came into focus for me. As if there were all these little dark rooms of concepts in my brain, and he flicked the lights on. Now the challenge will be to keep those lights on. Make them brighter.

I haven't found much useful info on transitioning from keeping a sizable flock of hatchery mutts to being a breeder of Dual Purpose Heritage poultry. People don't really like to answer the "Tell me everything I need to know" question, for obvious reasons. But the common advice of "First, get rid of all your other birds" advice is a bit silly ... clearing out the junk can come later if you'd rather not stare at empty coops and a trio for a year.

Agree with all that George - You telling our age talking about "licking stamps"
But the only way to keep things private anymore is "snail mail"

I wish the SPPA had a website (that actually worked and was up to date). I hear so many good things about them but there is no information about who they are or what they even do...

It is fine that their MAIN work is not over the internet, I think that is for the best. But they should have some sort of information about themselves online, IMO. What breeds/projects they are working on, etc.

It's hard to find informed and rational discussion about breeding poultry that aren't also over my head. Facebook comes with everyone's jokes & politics (if you want to talk one-on-one with them), and much of the time that's a real turn-off for me. There can also be serious moderation issues at Facebook. Here there are limits about how serious the conversation can be, and if you don't stumble on one of the few productive threads, and aren't vigilant at filtering out the nonsense yourself, you're kind of out of luck getting to the facts. Other places don't really get a lot of traffic.

Not all of us can get to shows, which "they" say, are where the real conversations happen.

I've seen a couple pretty good videos on YouTube that answer a lot of the basic questions. There could be more of that stuff available. It just means hooking people with the camera/internet connection up with the "mature and established breeders" who do not frequent the Internet. I've seen some materials from breed-specific clubs that are brilliant for addressing breeding concerns for specific breeds -- not my breed, of course, but still useful if you can extrapolate; those materials aren't free or easy to produce.

I had a breeder/judge consultant up to my coop this past weekend for a team meeting and hands-on "master class." That was an amazing experience. The stuff I've read here and elsewhere, plus all the stuff my breeding mentor/partner has told me, lots of that came into focus for me. As if there were all these little dark rooms of concepts in my brain, and he flicked the lights on. Now the challenge will be to keep those lights on. Make them brighter.

I haven't found much useful info on transitioning from keeping a sizable flock of hatchery mutts to being a breeder of Dual Purpose Heritage poultry. People don't really like to answer the "Tell me everything I need to know" question, for obvious reasons. But the common advice of "First, get rid of all your other birds" advice is a bit silly ... clearing out the junk can come later if you'd rather not stare at empty coops and a trio for a year.

I think it comes together in the rolling up our sleeves and going to work. It is simple inheritance after all. You know the drill. It is recessive, dominant, sex linked, etc. etc. Observation teaches and it confirms.

There is nothing like pairing some birds up, hatching a qty. of birds and watching them grow out. Finally as they finish, the results are realized. What do we see? What don't we see? What are the problems?

I think a good portion of it is are we the type to sort those problems out. Problems come and are we problem solvers?

It is possible that we goof it all up on the first round, but we did no real harm. There is nothing wrong with starting up again.

I do not tell people to get rid of all that they have. I tell them to do as they please, and recommend settling with a breed. Taking interest in something in particular. I started with hatchery birds, and for years kept and paired up hatchery birds. I learned as much in the doing as I did anything else. I toyed with all of this before the internet was the norm.

Outside of the doing, there is no replacement for the privilege of knowing and getting to know other poultry breeders. However that can be done. Whether shows, house calls, phone calls, emails, etc. etc. Those that have been doing this a long time, and part of the culture, have a lot to offer. I find that they are willing to share, if we are interested.

It is up to us to get to them though.

It sounds like you had one of those experiences recently. Few things replace the hands on interaction with those more experienced than ourselves.

We could do better chatting here again. We would have to decide on a thread. I like discussing breeding, breeding plans, inheritance, management etc. I am not a good contributor when it drifts off into the other things.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom